Questions regarding departure from San Juan

cb2367

I'm considering the Viva itenerary in March 2024 and I noticed that departures out of San Juan seem to be in the evening.

With that being the case, would there be issues with arriving the day of the cruise (aside from potential flight delays) or would it still be necessary to come in the day before and leave the day after? 

What time does boarding usually start due evening departures?

I'll never risk getting in the day of a cruise regardless of when it leaves.  Boarding will the normal time even with the later departure.  I do fly out same day the cruise ends usually, if I miss that flight oh well an extended vacation haha.  

23 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

I hear boarding is a nightmare taking many hours if you are not in the Haven. Is that true? 

It isn't the norm, though I have heard NCL is going through some unusual growing pains at the Pan American pier (this is the pier NCL uses for embarkation at San Juan). I fully anticipate, however, that NCL will eventually get a handle on things and the embarkation/disembarkation process will go much more smoothly. Probably by mid-January there won't be any problems and people will begin boarding around 11 am per usual. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ive heard its been bad the last couple cruises out but I somebody said those times there were two ships in port at the same time.  I leave Sunday and its supposed to be just EPIC in port that day...I'll try and let folks know how it goes.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Thanks. We are booked on the Viva NYE cruise and am wondering what to expect. Hopefully NCL works out the kinks before then. 

That far out who knows haha.  I think when Epic first started sailing out of San Juan it was a mess but then eventually got worked out but apparently the first few out this season were back to being a mess...a lot of it is dependent more on the Port workers more than it is NCL to be honest...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cb2367 said:

I'm considering the Viva itenerary in March 2024 and I noticed that departures out of San Juan seem to be in the evening.

With that being the case, would there be issues with arriving the day of the cruise (aside from potential flight delays) or would it still be necessary to come in the day before and leave the day after? 

What time does boarding usually start due evening departures?

General Boarding will start at 11:30 am. The Pan Am pier is a small terminal and has struggled with the larger NCL ships. Things will get better over time. 

If you come in same day, plan to be on an early (first flight) to give yourself recovery alternatives. March often has winter storms that snarl airlines (not as bad as Southwest). 

34 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

General Boarding will start at 11:30 am. The Pan Am pier is a small terminal and has struggled with the larger NCL ships. Things will get better over time. 

If you come in same day, plan to be on an early (first flight) to give yourself recovery alternatives. March often has winter storms that snarl airlines (not as bad as Southwest). 

And if you choose to fly in the same day, please also give some serious consideration to purchasing insurance for your trip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

We’re cruising on the Epic in March and our departure isn’t until 7 pm. Is there still general boarding at 11:30?

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

According to the ncl website, it's showing an 8:30pm departure from San Juan so that's why I was asking about coming in the day of the cruise. I know that's not ideal,  but if that is in fact the correct departure time then is boarding still in the morning and the ship is just staying in port all day?

1 hour ago, JesseB said:

Boarding will still be the normal time. I’m leaving out of San Juan tomorrow and listed departure time is 7pm and eDocs say boarding is at Noon (what they always say)

Please let us know how it goes and have a wonderful cruise. 

8 hours ago, vacation44 said:

Please let us know how it goes and have a wonderful cruise. 

Will do!  In San Juan now, and have a 10am checkin time tomorrow morning!  Have the Haven for the first time but hear conflicting reports on if that actually means anything in San Juan for checkin…

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JesseB said:

Will do!  In San Juan now, and have a 10am checkin time tomorrow morning!  Have the Haven for the first time but hear conflicting reports on if that actually means anything in San Juan for checkin…

We will be Haven also and have read you can go right into the building instead of waiting on any line outside. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vacation44 said:

We will be Haven also and have read you can go right into the building instead of waiting on any line outside. 

Arrived just about 10am, one line to drop luggage that took about 2min and then a separate Haven security line that took about 10-15 mins then to a holding area with coffee, juice snacks… currently still there, I figured we would checkin before this but apparently not haha.