“the Big One”! World Cruise on Sojourn

shark b8

Re sweetbreads - yeah, a bit of a mystery - if they had them onboard all along, surely they would have been included in some menu, somewhere.  If they didn’t have them in general stock….where did they come from, and in what quantity?  Do they have/keep a stash of exotic off-the-menu stuff onboard, just waiting for someone to ask?  “Enquiring minds want to know”, as was popular a while back.

• Haha 2

….and to be honest:   My sweetbread epiphany was at a Wolfgang Puck restaurant in San Francisco in the 80’s, called (I think) “Off Post” - near Union Square.  Mrs Captain Sharkbait was instrumental in changing my menu habits, as I had been raised pretty much with canned/frozen food all my life.  Anyway, Puck’s sweetbreads were just amazing, but part of what I liked was the crunchy exterior - breaded/battered-whatever.  These, onboard the other night, were oh so rich and very tasty, but my taste buds still think that a somewhat crunchy exterior is something to be pursued. 

• Like 2

OK, a quick Google search leads me to……Postrio.  Not 100% positive, but that’s probably the restaurant of memory.  Not “off-Post” but….at least near the same street.  Sorry, everybody. 😔

• Like 3

12 hours ago, shark b8 said:

Re sweetbreads - yeah, a bit of a mystery - if they had them onboard all along, surely they would have been included in some menu, somewhere.  If they didn’t have them in general stock….where did they come from, and in what quantity?  Do they have/keep a stash of exotic off-the-menu stuff onboard, just waiting for someone to ask?  “Enquiring minds want to know”, as was popular a while back.

Aloha. I love sweetbreads! Thank you for posting the picture!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shark b8 said:

Don’t think we’ve ever sailed on seas that were any smoother.

Adding the photo from our balcony. It's like being on a lake. And fun watching the handful of birds skimming the water surface alongside!

PXL_20230407_094708372.thumb.jpg.8143cba0385c3f1891844802c4c5115b.jpg

• Like 5

On 4/5/2023 at 5:20 PM, shark b8 said:

OK, a quick Google search leads me to……Postrio.  Not 100% positive, but that’s probably the restaurant of memory.  Not “off-Post” but….at least near the same street.  Sorry, everybody. 😔

Yes, Postrio, a posh restaurant from the 90s in San Francisco, all the rage among foodies.  Very high end.

• Like 1

Keller rib-eye dinner @ Colonnade.  I still maintain that his “true rib eye” (as he calls it) at the Grill is a better piece of meat, but possible we’re splitting hairs at a pretty high level.  

9CC23D5A-CC31-4691-A424-00590CD24C2A.thumb.jpeg.5a53efd4cde87b93a162506e507f1f4d.jpeg

DD99D73D-A24C-41C1-9356-3A1D39C7C0AB.thumb.jpeg.72ae3493dd6d35c84738e5de4376e5e4.jpeg

• Like 3