Need help with Alaska excursions.

RJ1

Hello everyone, we have been on many cruises in the Caribbean but our first time in Alaska. I'm not sure what to do at these ports which are Sitka, Skagway, Juneau and Victoria BC. I would like to get up to a glacier in one of these but not in a plane or helicopter. i have seen some kayaks that go there, any thoughts?

Skagway we were thinking of doing the train ride but is it worth it? Its $222 pp on RCL. 

Any help would be great! Thank you to CC community.

1. SITKA, ALASKA 
  2. SKAGWAY, ALASKA 
  3. JUNEAU, ALASKA 
  4. VICTORIA, BRITISH COLUMBIA
  5. SITKA, ALASKA 
  6. SKAGWAY, ALASKA 
  7. JUNEAU, ALASKA 
  8. VICTORIA, BRITISH COLUMBIA
  1. SITKA, ALASKA 
  2. SKAGWAY, ALASKA 
  3. JUNEAU, ALASKA 
  4. VICTORIA, BRITISH COLUMBIA

I would post your ship, times in port and if you are going to a glacier on the cruise.

For example - there is a small boat ride in Juneau to a glacier but you need a long day there. Also, there are some small boat rides if your ship is visiting a glacier which are highly rated and recommended.

First, set a realistic budget for excursions. Some of the most desirable and sought out excursions will cost substantially more than most excursions in the Caribbean. With that said, you don't have to spend tons of money on excursions to enjoy what Alaska has to offer. 

When we sailed to Alaska for the first time, we went on a very tight budget. We were traveling with small children and I was starting a new job. I did a lot of research in advance and this is what I came up with:

We chose an itinerary that specifically visited Glacier Bay. It was recommended over and over, and I'm glad that I followed that piece of advice. It was absolutely stunning. We didn't need any excursions to get up close to the glaciers. The ship sails right up to the glaciers. Truly spectacular and words or YouTube videos simply can't describe what you'll see and feel until you actually get there. 

• Juneau: We took the Glacier Express shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier. Once there, we were able to explore on our own. Lots of viewing areas and trails in the area. You can get up close to the glacier. After that, we returned to the port area. From there, you can take the Mt. Roberts Tramway which will provide amazing views of the area and your cruise ship below. 

• Sitka: We hiked the Sitka National Forest. The entrance to the forest is a short walk from the tender dock. At the end of the trail, we visited Alaska Raptor Center, home of many birds of prey, including bald eagles which we got to see up close. After that, we walked a different route back into town

• Ketchikan: Only place where we booked an actual excursion. We took an Amphibious Boat Tour which provided a glimpse of the port, both from land and sea. Somewhat cheesy and "tourist trappy", but we were traveling with little kids who thought it was super fun. After the tour was over, we walked along Creek Street and did some shopping before returning to the ship.

• Victoria: Short stop (we arrived at 6:00pm and left at midnight) so we decided to just take a taxi into town (there's also a path that you can walk into town, but we opted to take the taxi due to our short time there). We were dropped off near the Parliament and then followed the path along the waterfront towards the Fairmont Hotel. Very beautiful and picturesque downtown area. We then decided to enjoy dinner at a local restaurant (it was the last night of the cruise, so we wanted to do something a bit different). After that, we took a taxi back to the ship. Keep in mind that sunset in Victoria during the summer is close to 10:00pm, so even though we arrived at 6:00pm we still had sunlight for most of our time ashore. 

We were traveling with 14 family members, some who had a much larger budget for excursions. They did helicopter rides, flightseeing excursion on seaplanes, went hiking and dog sledding on glaciers, and kayaked. The photos from their activities made me salivate because they looked absolutely amazing. But considering what my budget was, I was very satisfied with what we did do.

• Like 1

I always travel solo since the loss of my husband eight years ago. 

I need help with excursions for this cruise! 

I have been on many cruise lines big to small!

I did American Cruise Line American Spirit Puget Sound cruise September 2022! Amazing ship, cruise and people! I’m booked for June 2024! That was the first available solo cabin otherwise it’s 175%!

I’m a fan of Holland America but port days in Alaska just too short! I find Princess and Celebrity not solo friendly! As a couple Celebrity was amazing! Solo no!

But I can’t wait that long! So after a lot of research I found Oceania Regatta! Now solo cruise program for obstructed ocean view cabins on a great deck! 

I’m booked for July 21,2023! Round trip Seattle which I like!

Ketchikan 9-5, Sitka 9-6,Juneau 7a-8p, Icy Straight 7a-6p,Wrangell 9-6, Prince Rupert 9-6, Victoria 8a-11p! I like the long port days!

The ports I miss in 2023 I’ll get to in 2024!

I am currently exploring shore excursions!

I’ve never been on Oceania but because of the small ship, 650 passengers, solo program, long port days and round trip Seattle I booked it!

I’m staying at the Waterfront Marriott for three nights prior to the cruise! I’ll be able to explore the beautiful waterfront area!

September 2022 I stays three nights at the Marriott Renaissance in Seattle prior to the Puget Sound cruise. 

1 hour ago, Wasasalad said:

I did American Cruise Line American Spirit Puget Sound cruise September 2022! Amazing ship, cruise and people! I’m booked for June 2024! That was the first available solo cabin otherwise it’s 175%!

I’m a fan of Holland America but port days in Alaska just too short! I find Princess and Celebrity not solo friendly! As a couple Celebrity was amazing! Solo no!

But I can’t wait that long! So after a lot of research I found Oceania Regatta! Now solo cruise program for obstructed ocean view cabins on a great deck! 

Ketchikan 9-5, Sitka 9-6,Juneau 7a-8p, Icy Straight 7a-6p,Wrangell 9-6, Prince Rupert 9-6, Victoria 8a-11p! I like the long port days!

I’ve never been on Oceania but because of the small ship, 650 passengers, solo program, long port days and round trip Seattle I booked it!

I’m staying at the Waterfront Marriott for three nights prior to the cruise! I’ll be able to explore the beautiful waterfront area!

September 2022 I stays three nights at the Marriott Renaissance in Seattle prior to the Puget Sound cruise. 

I just did a search on this sailing and it is $4500 more than my 11 night Princess cruise as a solo (in a balcony cabin). Granted Oceania is a higher end line, I sail for ports and would never pay this for Alaska.

8 minutes ago, Coral said:

I just did a search on this sailing and it is $4500 more than my 11 night Princess cruise as a solo (in a balcony cabin). Granted Oceania is a higher end line, I sail for ports and would never pay this for Alaska.

Same and I looked at both of the cruises and whoa. As an educator there is no way I can afford those as a solo. And not as many amenities as the other lines I have looked at and Princess has long Port times compared to others too. 

2 minutes ago, Nataliea621 said:

Same and I looked at both of the cruises and whoa. As an educator there is no way I can afford those as a solo. And not as many amenities as the other lines I have looked at and Princess has long Port times compared to others too. 

Work in Education also!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wasasalad said:

Is Victoria 8am or 8pm arrival?

23 hours ago, Coral said:

I’m in an obstructed ocean view cabin. What I like is the smaller ship, only 600 passengers. 
Wow! You must have great prices for your Princess cruise! I just don’t have good luck booking Princess or Celebrity. I always find prices too high. 

5 hours ago, Coral said:

Your times in port would really help with recommendations.

They are in my post

39 minutes ago, Wasasalad said:

I’m in an obstructed ocean view cabin. What I like is the smaller ship, only 600 passengers. 
Wow! You must have great prices for your Princess cruise! I just don’t have good luck booking Princess or Celebrity. I always find prices too high. 

I am paying $1400 for a balcony as a solo for 11 nights. I also like smaller ships but not enough to spend $6000 when in Alaska - I mostly care about the ports and the times in port. I have long days in port on my cruise and we have more days in Alaska. I just can't justify the cost for your cruise. 

Edited by Coral

Just now, Coral said:

I am paying $1400 for a balcony as a solo for 11 nights. I also like smaller ships but not enough to spend $6000 when in Alaska - I mostly care about the ports and the times in port.

Wow how did you get it for $1,400? When I try it’s always around $5,000!

11 minutes ago, Coral said:

I am paying $1400 for a balcony as a solo for 11 nights. I also like smaller ships but not enough to spend $6000 when in Alaska - I mostly care about the ports and the times in port. I have long days in port on my cruise and we have more days in Alaska. I just can't justify the cost for your cruise. 

I just looked! Are you on Sapphire Princess? Yes it looks great! But I’ve never been on a large ship! It says 2,700 passengers! The ones I usually go on are around 1,800. 

Just now, Wasasalad said:

I just looked! Are you on Sapphire Princess? Yes it looks great! But I’ve never been on a large ship! It says 2,700 passengers! The ones I usually go on are around 1,800. 

I am looking at May 12th on Crown Princess. Balcony is $1400 for solo for an 11 night cruise.

I do like smaller ships. Though for Alaska - I am going off of ports and the 11 night RT out of Vancouver is amazing. The food won't be as good as on your ship but I can eat in port with my savings.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 7:01 PM, RJ1 said:

Skagway we were thinking of doing the train ride but is it worth it? Its $222 pp on RCL.

Purchased directly from the railroad, a basic trip from the railroad station in Skagway to the summit and return is $142. The excursion purchased from the cruise line provides the added benefit of being able to travel on the train directly from the side of the cruise vessel, obviating the need to walk the 1/4-mile or 1/2-mile walk between the vessel and the railroad station. Is it worth $80 per person not to have to walk that distance?

4 hours ago, Coral said:

Yeah and even me with going during prime tourist times I’m spending less than $2000 or that’s my goal. But like you I want to go to as many ports as possible. If I do a cruise tour then I expect it to go up. But I want it less than $3500. That includes food, drinks, and excursions. 

1 hour ago, Nataliea621 said:

Yeah and even me with going during prime tourist times I’m spending less than $2000 or that’s my goal. But like you I want to go to as many ports as possible. If I do a cruise tour then I expect it to go up. But I want it less than $3500. That includes food, drinks, and excursions. 

E335B82F-A46B-4010-A61C-1A50F383B0A6.thumb.png.0135bd8ad2b50de6b049472ab928cb57.png
I did a mock booking on Princess. I need to go around July 20th. These are the prices I’m coming up with that don’t include all the stuff that you have to pay. Maybe you booked a long time ago to get a better price. Total would be over $4,000 for seven days. 

Edited by Wasasalad
Add

15 minutes ago, Wasasalad said:

E335B82F-A46B-4010-A61C-1A50F383B0A6.thumb.png.0135bd8ad2b50de6b049472ab928cb57.png
I did a mock booking on Princess. I need to go around July 20th. These are the prices I’m coming up with that don’t include all the stuff that you have to pay. Maybe you booked a long time ago to get a better price. Total would be over $4,000 for seven days. 

This is one in August. And a 10 day RT Vancouver 

3BE63D5B-BCEE-495E-893A-30C1106D3957.png