Tipping private tour driver

maggietaggie

We are using Rome in limo for three days prior to our cruise just for a party of two.  We have  a six, 10 and 12 hour day tours.  Two days we are paying additional for a tour guide.  What is the standard amount/percent  to tip the Rome in limo driver each day?  Thank you

Tipping is not the culture in Italy.   That said, Rome in Limo is an American company so who knows what they tell their employees.  However, by law in Italy the drivers are either private contractors or they are paid a full wage with benefits.  Tipping is absolutely not required.

Edited by euro cruiser

I know how personal this question is, and how inculcated tipping is in all Americans.  Somehow it just feels pejorative, like a throwaway, to hand someone ten or twenty euro when you've just spent 1,000 euros (or not far from that amount) on their service for three days.  I'd feel more comfortable offering nothing vs. one or two percent.  

Your sincere thanks, plus excellent reviews posted to whatever sites the driver deems important, are more valuable and demonstrate your appreciation more than a token amount of money.  The reviews help him/her build their business and have a longer lasting impact.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I know how personal this question is, and how inculcated tipping is in all Americans.  Somehow it just feels pejorative, like a throwaway, to hand someone ten or twenty euro when you've just spent 1,000 euros (or not far from that amount) on their service for three days.  I'd feel more comfortable offering nothing vs. one or two percent.  

Your sincere thanks, plus excellent reviews posted to whatever sites the driver deems important, are more valuable and demonstrate your appreciation more than a token amount of money.  The reviews help him/her build their business and have a longer lasting impact.

Absolutely get how you feel.  I would say that “where would you like me to leave your reviews?” but give the tip saying “have yourselves a couple of beers on me”.  After 3 days I think I would be giving about 50 euro each. 

• Like 1