Vatican: Timing of Basilica and Vatican Museums

geopuzzle

If I have understood correctly, I will be able to purchase a timed entry ticket to the Vatican Museums 60 days in advance (for Sistine Chapel, Rafael rooms, etc on the official ticket site https://m.museivaticani.va/content/museivaticani-mobile/en.html), and the line should move quickly because I have a timed ticket(?).   However, St Peter's Basilica, is free and there are no tickets, so the line is very long (?). 

a)Would it be best to see the Basilica first thing in the morning when the line is shorter, and have tickets to the Vatican Museums later on?  This might risk timing it wrong, and wishing I had allocated more or less time at the Basilica.

b)Or is it best to have a reserved time slot for the Vatican Museums first thing in the morning and then head to the Basilica afterwards, so that I avoid timing it wrong?  With this option, I risk a horrible late morning/early afternoon line for the basilica.

How long is the walk from Vatican Museums to St Peter's Basilica?

THANKS! We're touring Rome and Venice before our Venice-Athens cruise.  

It's about 1.5 km/just under one mile from the basilica to the entrance of the museums.

I personally prefer the basilica at opening time, 7 AM, before the tour groups arrive.  In addition to the amazing art, it's also a place for reflection and that's hard to do with a couple of thousand people crowding the nave.

• Like 1

I wouldn't do this, but you can buy a timed ticket from tour companies I believe to enter the Basilica WITH A GUIDE.  

After deciding at the last moment to go into the Basilica on one Sunny day, I'd definitely go first thing in the morning than waiting hours in the hot, beating sun with NO SHADE to be found!!  Just saying...

You can go to the basilica first thing in the morning.

Then you could book a late day tour at the museum. Look for the "extra time" tours which may even include a wine hour at the Vatican. 

You need to find something to do in between. You could go to Trastevere for lunch or go tour Castel Sant'Angelo. 

Edited by marazul

53 minutes ago, marazul said:

You can go to the basilica first thing in the morning.

Then you could book a late day tour at the museum. Look for the "extra time" tours which may even include a wine hour at the Vatican. 

You need to find something to do in between. You could go to Trastevere for lunch or go tour Castel Sant'Angelo. 

Wine hour at the Vatican?  What is that?