Access to Tenders?

sattva

Haven't been on an Azamara ship since 2010 but am considering a Med cruise for next year.  DW and I are now both rely on canes, sometimes need rollators; don't use wheelchairs.  Getting on/off tenders can be challenging.  Specifically, does anyone remember how many steps there are from the lowest deck on the ship  down to where one steps/hops/jumps onto a tender?  Or have a picture?

Thanks in advance!

Tenders are boarded from Deck 3.  I think there are around eight steps down to the boarding platform. Someone who is aboard right now can probably count them and give you the exact number.  

For anyone who has never boarded a tender:  you step carefully, aided by crew members.  There's no hopping or jumping involved or allowed.😃

• Like 2

If you use a cane/rollator there can be weather conditions - not necessarily wind, more usually tidal swell, where the Safety Officer can decide you should not attempt to enter the tender and you will be asked not to go ashore.  I think tgg has the number of steps right - they are quite steep metal steps, the tread is higher than normal stairs

• Like 2

On 1/8/2023 at 6:45 PM, uktog said:

If you use a cane/rollator there can be weather conditions - not necessarily wind, more usually tidal swell, where the Safety Officer can decide you should not attempt to enter the tender and you will be asked not to go ashore.  I think tgg has the number of steps right - they are quite steep metal steps, the tread is higher than normal stairs

I've never been denied access to a tender but I can’t remember too many on Azamara.  I too believe the step count is at least close.  The handrails really were stationary. You will be asked to let them carry the rollator (DH carried it down with one hand, not knowing better), and they about lost it!   

i had an agreement with those trying to help me into the tender, you can only have one hand, I get to us the other one to hold onto something I know won’t more!  I’m still strong enough to hang on if I slip, or I was, my last trip had no tenders. 

we carried a strap so that a rollator would stay closed and could be anchored to something so it didn’t more, worked well on hop on hop off too!  

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak