Missing Ports

maxy1234

We were on the Westerdam in October to December in Australia and NZ and we missed at least 4 ports including two in NZ.  Before NZ, we were issued a $250 onboard shipboard credit and a FCC equivalent to 10% of our fare.  My wife and I felt it was very fair and we used all of the benefits.

With respect to the internet, we each used the SURF package (medium level), and it was quite adequate for our needs.  There was one day when the internet was sketchy, but I easily kept up my daily blog and FB posts while onboard.  On shore, we have TM Magenta Plus so we have free data included and that worked well as well.

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2023 at 12:24 PM, Torquer said:

Anyone on the Noordam now (or just off it), can you tell us how the internet was while cruising NZ and AUS?  We will be going next month and want to know if it is fast enough to be worth purchasing for the entire cruise.  We have found on prior cruises to northern latitudes it can be pretty poor.

We are on Noordam now and find myself with unexpected time as they cancelled Tasmania (Burnie) due to weather 25 minutes before docking time (the harbor pilots were on board attempting the dock). The free HIA package is pretty good, definitely dead spots at back and front of ship, particularly on top deck. Otherwise no problem doing email and casual surfing and reasonable (2-4MB) downloads..... but definitely streaming (music, video) doesn't work for me. 

PXL_20230116_224541120.jpg

On 1/13/2023 at 12:24 PM, Torquer said:

Sorry dup post. But did just get a call from Shore Excursion desk about our cancelled excursion (paid for 100% with HIA promo). He said the cancelled excursion value would be put back in our account as refundable credit. 

Edited by pghflyer

2 hours ago, pghflyer said:

Sorry dup post. But did just get a call from Shore Excursion desk about our cancelled excursion (paid for 100% with HIA promo). He said the cancelled excursion value would be put back in our account as refundable credit

Are you sure about the "refundable credit" ? Not happening according to the experience of the poster below. I would be interested to hear what happens in your case, as I will be on Noordam next month and have a HIA promo paid excursion booked for the second last port ...

On 12/18/2022 at 7:12 AM, CNSJ said:

On Rotterdam today , with HIA Package.  Using part of the Shorex Credit for an upcoming stop in Amber Cove to snorkel.  That excursion was just cancelled due to forecast weather tomorrow.  Options were to book another excursion or simply loose the credit as its non-refundable.  So..... I asked, what it this had been the last port and there were no other opportunities.  The answer was the credit is non-refundable, not even against your onboard expenses.  Even if port visit is cancelled, no compensation.  

I am sure it's in the fine print.... just passing this on to fellow cruisers.

4 hours ago, pghflyer said:

We are on Noordam now and find myself with unexpected time as they cancelled Tasmania (Burnie) due to weather 25 minutes before docking time (the harbor pilots were on board attempting the dock). The free HIA package is pretty good, definitely dead spots at back and front of ship, particularly on top deck. Otherwise no problem doing email and casual surfing and reasonable (2-4MB) downloads..... but definitely streaming (music, video) doesn't work for me. 

PXL_20230116_224541120.jpg

How is the Noordam?  Any comments would be appreciated!

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

How is the Noordam?  Any comments would be appreciated!

We are first time HAL (but many times on many other lines) and only on day 4 so take that context.

• Love the small size of the ship, especially our low booking capacity (65%) as ship feels empty. Very easy and efficient embark/disembark. 
  • Ship is nice and clean and classy although clearly old bones. Nice use of technology for an old ship with the App being very handy, plenty of room USB ports, nice TV navigation channel, and good theater technology. 
  • Ship is quiet with very few noisy programs or announcements or loud background music.
  • Program / activities are relatively small / minimal but are well done - like the dance group and classical performers.
  • The daily program is literally a folded single page (printed front and back so 4 small pages), it doen't even contain any port or navigational information.
  • Food quality is good but much less variety.
  • In spite of much fewer passengers, the service is slow and hard to come by, the worst of any cruise we have taken. You may wait at a bar table for 45 minutes without a server coming to ask if you would like something / refill. 
  • Small bar menus, each featuring 5-10 cocktails.... but longer lists of wines/beers/liquors. They will make other non-listed cocktails but you need to know what to ask for and sometimes be able to tell them what is in it. Generally, liquor selection diversity is smaller at all bars than any other cruise we have taken. 
  • Food venues have severely limited hours (ex. Buffet closes dinner at 8pm) so you really need to plan your meals a little bit. 

13 hours ago, pghflyer said:

We are first time HAL (but many times on many other lines) and only on day 4 so take that context.

• Love the small size of the ship, especially our low booking capacity (65%) as ship feels empty. Very easy and efficient embark/disembark. 
  • Ship is nice and clean and classy although clearly old bones. Nice use of technology for an old ship with the App being very handy, plenty of room USB ports, nice TV navigation channel, and good theater technology. 
  • Ship is quiet with very few noisy programs or announcements or loud background music.
  • Program / activities are relatively small / minimal but are well done - like the dance group and classical performers.
  • The daily program is literally a folded single page (printed front and back so 4 small pages), it doen't even contain any port or navigational information.
  • Food quality is good but much less variety.
  • In spite of much fewer passengers, the service is slow and hard to come by, the worst of any cruise we have taken. You may wait at a bar table for 45 minutes without a server coming to ask if you would like something / refill. 
  • Small bar menus, each featuring 5-10 cocktails.... but longer lists of wines/beers/liquors. They will make other non-listed cocktails but you need to know what to ask for and sometimes be able to tell them what is in it. Generally, liquor selection diversity is smaller at all bars than any other cruise we have taken. 
  • Food venues have severely limited hours (ex. Buffet closes dinner at 8pm) so you really need to plan your meals a little bit. 

Thank you for all the info and well-thought-out points!  Sounds a little different from our 99 days on HAL last year. I understand your disappointment with the service in the bars - not acceptable at all.  What are they thinking!?  I would use the APP to let them know you find the bar service poor and why.

The differences HAL presents to you, as a first time HAL cruiser, are very obvious to you considering what you experience on other lines, possibly on much larger ships.  When I read your excellent, informative points I find some of it is standard HAL (not the bar service!) :)  You also point out some positives which are typical of HAL, though!  Many thanks for this post.  If you have the time and/or inclination, any further posts and opinions would be much appreciated. Enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 1:28 PM, boeckli said:

Are you sure about the "refundable credit" ? Not happening according to the experience of the poster below. I would be interested to hear what happens in your case, as I will be on Noordam next month and have a HIA promo paid excursion booked for the second last port ...

SO :) Even though my app submitted inquiry said my excursion was paid with HIA credits, it turns out guest services must have misunderstood when they called me back promising refundable credit. I stopped by shore excursion deck to confirm and they assured me such HIA credits are always only for excursions and will not be refunded in any circumstances. So I took their word for it and booked for another port/day (lucky for me I still had days left and there was one excursion left that wasn't sold out, most all are on this cruise). If I hadn't been able to use it, I would have circled back on the bad first services response. 

Also 2 days later we each received a $15 credit ("Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses Adjustment") for Burnie, Tasmania being cancelled. 

2 hours ago, pghflyer said:

SO :) Even though my app submitted inquiry said my excursion was paid with HIA credits, it turns out guest services must have misunderstood when they called me back promising refundable credit. I stopped by shore excursion deck to confirm and they assured me such HIA credits are always only for excursions and will not be refunded in any circumstances. So I took their word for it and booked for another port/day (lucky for me I still had days left and there was one excursion left that wasn't sold out, most all are on this cruise). If I hadn't been able to use it, I would have circled back on the bad first services response. 

Also 2 days later we each received a $15 credit ("Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses Adjustment") for Burnie, Tasmania being cancelled. 

Thanks for clarifying the situation.  Good that you were able to book another excursion.