Could we be denied boarding in Lisbon to New York with an extended Portugal visa that stops in Spanish ports??

gatguy11

Hi, We are Canadians with a Spanish Visa question. We will have been in Portugal for over 90 days but were extended another 90 days by Portugal, However this cruise stops at 4 Spanish ports. We contacted Norwegian's affiliate VisaCentral who told me they cannot help.  Will we have problems boarding in Lisbon with an extended Schengen Visa extension that is supposedly only good for Portugal because we go to Spain as well? Please help, Robert.

On 1/9/2023 at 1:58 AM, gatguy11 said:

Hi, We are Canadians with a Spanish Visa question. We will have been in Portugal for over 90 days but were extended another 90 days by Portugal, However this cruise stops at 4 Spanish ports. We contacted Norwegian's affiliate VisaCentral who told me they cannot help.  Will we have problems boarding in Lisbon with an extended Schengen Visa extension that is supposedly only good for Portugal because we go to Spain as well? Please help, Robert.

Your asking what NCL is going to do.  That is a good question.   They may not even notice or may be confused.

Generally a Schengen visa extension or long stay visa is just that.  It may be issued by one of the countries in the region but valid across the entire region.    

There is effectively no passport check between Portugal and Spain.  Not clear anyone in Spain would even be looking at any visas or passports. 

Are you on one of these cruises that stops in Morocco?  If so you are leaving Schengen and re-entering.  So the period starts all over again.   

If your in Canada trying to talk to Portugal's consulate good luck.  I find they are very hard to get a hold of.

Edited by em-sk
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, em-sk said:

Your asking what NCL is going to do.  That is a good question.   They may not even notice or may be confused.

Generally a Schengen visa extension or long stay visa is just that.  It may be issued by one of the countries in the region but valid across the entire region.    

There is effectively no passport check between Portugal and Spain.  Not clear anyone in Spain would even be looking at any visas or passports. 

Are you on one of these cruises that stops in Morocco?  If so you are leaving Schengen and re-entering.  So the period starts all over again.   

If your in Canada trying to talk to Portugal's consulate good luck.  I find they are very hard to get a hold of.

Do you have a source for the bolded part of your response?

Per the OP, Portugal seems to have indicated that the extension is valid only for Portugal when the extension is granted by Portugal.  This specific-country validity for extensions rule seems to be the same for the Netherlands:

https://ind.nl/en/short-stay/extension-of-a-schengen-visa-or-visa-exempt-period#requirements-for-extension-of-schengen-visa-or-visa-exempt-period- 

OP,  you should really talk to the Spanish consulate.  Could you apply to Spain for the extension as well?

Edited by ShopperfiendTO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

Do you have a source for the bolded part of your response?

Per the OP, Portugal seems to have indicated that the extension is valid only for Portugal when the extension is granted by Portugal.  This specific-country validity for extensions rule seems to be the same for the Netherlands:

https://ind.nl/en/short-stay/extension-of-a-schengen-visa-or-visa-exempt-period#requirements-for-extension-of-schengen-visa-or-visa-exempt-period- 

OP,  you should really talk to the Spanish consulate.  Could you apply to Spain for the extension as well?

The reference you have is causing me to second guess what I said.  The EU wording is weird....

European Union common questions:  

"15 I have a valid long stay visa/residence permit for a country that is part of the Schengen area. Do I need another visa to travel to other Schengen states?

No. A long stay visa or a residence permit issued by a Schengen State allows you to travel or stay in other Schengen States, while respecting the maximum duration of a “short stay” (a stay of "90 days in any 180 day period")."

https://www.eeas.europa.eu/sites/default/files/frequently_asked_questions_en.pdf

I have had some family/friends stay longer in Portugal and usually already have to leave enter via another country given how flights work out.  

I looked it up on the Portuguese website and it is different there as well: 

https://imigrante.sef.pt/en/prorrogar-permanencia/

Edited by em-sk
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...