Wifi question??

travelmama06

We have the 150 minute pp pkg and 
we Are travelling with 3 other couples 

if I text them using I message will that come off my minutes and if so any idea how many minutes per text ? Or…

is there a better way to keep in touch

( where we are meeting etc ) using the ncl app or a diff iPhone app ? 
thanks I’m not very technically inclined 🥴

The minutes are used when you log in through the login.com website, usage stops when you log out using the logout.com website.  It's not an 'on demand' style where if the phone needs it it will shave off a chunk of time.  However long it takes you to login, send the message and log out is how much time each message would use.

That said - there have been scattered reports of iMessage working without being logged in for internet access.  This may be ship-dependent.

Using the NCL app does not require internet access once on board.  If one person from each couple wants to spend the $10 for the NCL app messaging that's also an option.

Edited by hallux

22 minutes ago, travelmama06 said:

We have the 150 minute pp pkg and 
we Are travelling with 3 other couples 

if I text them using I message will that come off my minutes and if so any idea how many minutes per text ? Or…

is there a better way to keep in touch

( where we are meeting etc ) using the ncl app or a diff iPhone app ? 
thanks I’m not very technically inclined 🥴

10 minutes ago, travelmama06 said:

Oh ok that’s a great option 

I assume we go to the internet lab to purchase that or would it be guest services?

thank you 

Texting using an internet-based application requires all parties be on the WiFi. If you log on to the internet once a day, that's when you will get the message "Meet you in 5 minutes at the dining room". If you do not have an internet-based messaging application on all phones like iMessage (e.g., you are using SMS texting), the WiFi won't help you send messages.

As reported above, under some circumstances, Apple iPhone iMessage sometimes works without a WiFi package. 

NCL's chat feature doesn't work very well, but you can try it. All actions are done from the the NCL app once you are onboard. No need to wait in the hour-long line at the Internet Café desk. But, everyone (all 3 couples, all phones) must pay the $10 each. 

8 minutes ago, travelmama06 said:

Ok thanks we will try to figure it out lol

maybe we’ll have to just knock on each other’s door the old fashioned way lol

You can also call their cabin from the phone in your cabin and speak to them directly or leave a voicemail.

• Like 1

Reportedly, neither the iMessage trick nor the NCL app use minutes from your Wi-Fi plan, and both work in near real-time.  I've not personally tested this, however.  If you want to go the NCL app route, you can probably get by with one person from each couple paying the subscription fee, and all communication funnel through those three.

1 minute ago, Nilbog said:

nor the NCL app use minutes from your Wi-Fi plan

No "reportedly" about the NCL app.  The NCL app works off a server on the ship, it does not need external internet access so it does not need you to be logged in and using minutes to use it. 

2 minutes ago, Nilbog said:

If you want to go the NCL app route, you can probably get by with one person from each couple paying the subscription fee, and all communication funnel through those three.

Yup, I said that - 

3 hours ago, hallux said:

Using the NCL app does not require internet access once on board.  If one person from each couple wants to spend the $10 for the NCL app messaging that's also an option.