Has anyone done Icy Strait Whale Adventures?

Jeeden

Our group of friends and all our children have Icy Strait for one of our ports this summer and while I have heard great things about Glacial Winds and others, we are going to be a group of 23 total. I wondered if anyone has gone with Captain Duane on Icy Straight What Adventures? Looks like a solid operation and I nice boat. I searched and didn't see any reviews.

Thanks

We went with Captain Duane and Icy Strait Whale Adventures about 5 years ago.  Had a blast, can highly recommend.   At the time his nearly new boat held about 14, perhaps they have upgraded to a boat that can hold your group.    We ran across a group of transient Orcas that were feeding on a seal.   Some rammed our boat, I could have easily reached over the railing and touched them (but did not !).  Some on our boat were scared with the whales contacting the boat, but I looked to Duane and he seemed cool and calm, so I figured it was cool !    He did say it was highly unusual..... 

Have fun...  

IMG_8346.JPG

IMG_8325.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CCJack said:

We went with Captain Duane and Icy Strait Whale Adventures about 5 years ago.  Had a blast, can highly recommend.   At the time his nearly new boat held about 14, perhaps they have upgraded to a boat that can hold your group.    We ran across a group of transient Orcas that were feeding on a seal.   Some rammed our boat, I could have easily reached over the railing and touched them (but did not !).  Some on our boat were scared with the whales contacting the boat, but I looked to Duane and he seemed cool and calm, so I figured it was cool !    He did say it was highly unusual..... 

Have fun...  

IMG_8346.JPG

IMG_8325.JPG

Thanks for the review! Their new boat is supposed to hold up to 24 it seems.

15 hours ago, CCJack said:

We ran across a group of transient Orcas that were feeding on a seal.   Some rammed our boat, I could have easily reached over the railing and touched them (but did not !).  Some on our boat were scared with the whales contacting the boat, but I looked to Duane and he seemed cool and calm, so I figured it was cool !    He did say it was highly unusual..... 

WOW!  What an amazing experience!

Although it was five years ago, we took a whale watching trip out of Icy Straight Point, with probably 30 -3 40 of our "best friends" and yes, it was great, but I'll never take one again with that many people. I felt I was at the zoo getting pushed around anytime a whale came up to breath or we saw a tail.

Not blaming anyone as it is usually less expensive to go in a group, just for me I would have liked to have more room to photograph and be a lot closer to the wildlife, as close as the law allows at least. 

Do go on a whale watching trip, though! That is one of THE reasons to go to Alaska!