Strange looking CC message board??

Did you all miss this :D :D :D :D

Signature "Housecleaning"

It's almost Spring (well, at least in my mind) and a bit of housecleaning seems to be order - there are plenty of messy signatures out there! Here are some tips for cleaning up your signatures:

- Keep your images to around three -- which would include a picture, clipart, photo or your countdown.

- Try not to have any one image that is TOO large, which then takes additional time for your fellow members to download,

- If you have a LONG LIST of prior cruises, think about chopping off some, OR rearrange them horizontally rather than vertically;

- Browse through your signature and eliminate any extra blank lines, or old countdown codes, etc.

Remember, not everyone is speeding along on DSL or cable modems, superfast processors etc. so a bit of cleaning up will help speed all of us along!

Laura

:mad: :mad: :mad: I have this "new" look too, also each page takes forever to load. I never had that before.I won't be looking at much at this rate. Not happy!! :mad:

Did you all miss this :D :D :D :D

Signature "Housecleaning"

It's almost Spring (well, at least in my mind) and a bit of housecleaning seems to be order - there are plenty of messy signatures out there! Here are some tips for cleaning up your signatures:

- Keep your images to around three -- which would include a picture, clipart, photo or your countdown.

- Try not to have any one image that is TOO large, which then takes additional time for your fellow members to download,

- If you have a LONG LIST of prior cruises, think about chopping off some, OR rearrange them horizontally rather than vertically;

- Browse through your signature and eliminate any extra blank lines, or old countdown codes, etc.

Remember, not everyone is speeding along on DSL or cable modems, superfast processors etc. so a bit of cleaning up will help speed all of us along!

Laura

I did miss it but that would have nothing to do with the size of the boards as far as width went. I think someone is working on reconfiguring things and went a bit crazy.

This is a very poor use of "real estate" from a web design standpoint. Hopefully they will fix this and utilize the top only for ads (yes I realize they are necessary to pay the bills).

I find that if ads become obtrusive or bothersome, it just turns me off to the advertiser. Hopefully the designer will take this into account so we can enjoy the hosting that CC provides, yet not feel as though posting space is wasted.

This is a very poor use of "real estate" from a web design standpoint. Hopefully they will fix this and utilize the top only for ads (yes I realize they are necessary to pay the bills).

Actually it is a very good layout and use of screen real estate from a design standpoint. The main content is on the left where we in the West start reading which also has it in a location the spiders find first.

It also puts it out of the way so it is unobtrusive and as I mentioned before narrows the main content area making posts easier to read.

Actually it is a very good layout and use of screen real estate from a design standpoint. The main content is on the left where we in the West start reading which also has it in a location the spiders find first.

It also puts it out of the way so it is unobtrusive and as I mentioned before narrows the main content area making posts easier to read.

I'm not really economical in movements with my mouse. As a result I have accidentally clicked on some of those ads when I was trying to scroll down the page. Then I have to click off the pop up of that ad. It is a time waster, believe me.

That said, I do belong to a musician's message board that charges an annual membership. I would hate to have to start paying here also. I'd probably give up one of the boards. If these new intrusive ads keep me from having to pay an annual membership, I'll tolerate the ads.

Add me to the list. I am on AOL, also. I do NOT like this new look. I feel scrunched!

Scrunched is right! - It must have something to do with the advertising strip on the right side of the page. For the last two days there have been blips of advertising in the upper right hand side of the page that disappear as you scroll down. Where is Bill Gates when you need him?

The RCI board doesn't really have any ads. Other boards have more. The NCL board has quite a few but the Hawaii port of call boards has so many they go down way past the threads.

But I see them as on the right and unobstrusive and will hopefully bring in some much needed income to up-grade the boards. If so, bring them on.

Holy moly, this is a tough crowd. :)

It's a great board with great resources....an inch for basically unobtrusive ad space is no big deal IMO.

ITA. I've been frequenting internet message boards for 6 or 7 years now. There is always change. Sometimes good, sometimes not. It's the nature of the beast. They gotta pay the bills! As long as it's still free and there are no pop-ups, I'm a happy camper. :)

quote zotzer tonight.

Holy moly, this is a tough crowd.

It's a great board with great resources....an inch for basically unobtrusive ad space is no big deal IMO.

Tracy

March 7. Well, when websites have the option of either:

a) charging for membership, or

b) adding ads down the side of their pages

I will take option 'a'.

Now, if they ever start with pop ups, I may have to change my position of tolerance. LOL

Tracy

I thought you wanted to pay. :D

I'm not really economical in movements with my mouse. As a result I have accidentally clicked on some of those ads when I was trying to scroll down the page. Then I have to click off the pop up of that ad. It is a time waster, believe me.

Ahhhh finally, an actual valid point.

I myself always put site navigation on the right as usability studies show that is actually better than left hand side navigation.

Two solutions to your problem exist:

This site could be coded so as to allow the user to move the ads to the left or right.

You could run a pop-up blocker/browser/firewall to block ads.

I suggest the Firefox browser and/or Norton's Firewall. I haven't seen an ad in about 3 years now.

Hi Alexis, we are having the same problem with CC. So it's not your computer.

By the way how are you guys doing? Lori and I just got back from a short weekend getaway on Monarch. Aside from our trip on Empress I would have to say this one was the best, we were able to have dinner with the captain and he also gave us a private tour of the bridge.

We are also back on Empress this December to do a b2b2b, we enjoyed the trip so much we had to do it again.

Talk to you later......

I see you are in Queen Creek! So are we :p There's a website us Arizona cruisers go to to setup events to meet each other for lunches and the such to share stories and photos. Let me know if you want the website.

I have yet to see an ad on this board running down the sides. The only difference I see if the more narrow boards but that is it. I am using Norton and it is great.

I don't have them today either, but they were there when I posted this thread on the 7th. They ran across the top and down the whole right side.

It was not a pretty "site". :eek: :(

Archived