P&O Britannia

alangoff

7 minutes ago, Harryjacobs said:

I own a villa in Spain and fly Ryanair 6-8 flights a year.  In 21 years of flying with them we have only had 1 bad flight.  It is what it is, a cheap way of getting from A to B.  

I view Ryanair as a bus service getting me to Spain as cheaply as possible.  I dont expect or want a meal or free drinks, I just want to get to my destination as quick and as cheap as possible and in that Ryanair excells!

Its nothing more that snobbery to demean Ryanair/Easyjet and Butlins etc.

You have described exactly what the P&O comparison Is trying to reflect.  A quick cheap no frills service.  No matter how excellent it is (and I don't disagree although I don't use them because of reasons connected to Michael O'Leary not his airline) you know exactly what you're buying.

People paying for a supposedly luxury cruise experience being presented with a no frills service are comparing their experiences with the experts in that field.  It's not snobbery or derogatory because they most likely fly low cost themselves. It is an expression of disappointment with P&O because they do not market themselves truthfully unlike Ryanair, Easyjet, Butlins and Wetherspoons.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think it refers to the time when the cheeseboard included a massive lump of port infused Stilton

35 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Noooooooo! Please don't start that one again!!!

Sorry - just new to me and I don’t understand the meaning !

43 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Noooooooo! Please don't start that one again!!!

40 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think it refers to the time when the cheeseboard included a massive lump of port infused Stilton

Nothing wrong with a cheesewheel, let's all have a chuckle over a Truckle.😁😇

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

This cheese wheel discussion got me curious.  A bit of digging into Google suggests the most frequent discussion of the term might be on these very forums!

Then I found this:

gourmet cheese selection wheel gift present family dinner party friends cheddar cheese cheeseboard herbs garlic pepper double gloucester chives onion ale mustard vintage mature tomato basil hot mexican red leicester smokey valentines fathers day mothers christmas secret santa

Then I started digging a little further - I now sort of wish I hadn't!  Though on the bright side we now have a new family insult to sling around.  😇

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

This cheese wheel discussion got me curious.  A bit of digging into Google suggests the most frequent discussion of the term might be on these very forums!

Then I found this:

gourmet cheese selection wheel gift present family dinner party friends cheddar cheese cheeseboard herbs garlic pepper double gloucester chives onion ale mustard vintage mature tomato basil hot mexican red leicester smokey valentines fathers day mothers christmas secret santa

Then I started digging a little further - I now sort of wish I hadn't!  Though on the bright side we now have a new family insult to sling around.  😇

I’m still none the wiser ! Is it an insult ? and if so why and how is it related to cheese ?

13 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

I’m still none the wiser ! Is it an insult ? and if so why and how is it related to cheese ?

If you have access to Google Chrome, search for cheesewheel and scroll down to the "Urban Dictionary" suggestion...

And no, I wasn't aware of that terminology before searching for it...😂

Apparently it also means a male child who could never be mistaken for being intelligent...

Edited by Britboys
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Over the years there have been loads of debate about its demise - the oldest ones I found were around 2014 and referred to Oriana moving to platesd cheese offerings.  For reasons best known to a certain poster on CC every time there is a discussion about falling standards on P&O he brings it up as an example and form of Micky take when people say things aren't as good as they were.  He loves the non existent clown as well.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

A certain poster who raises this matter continually whenever anyone dares to make a criticism of P&O will no doubt be along shortly……….😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Megabear2 said:

Over the years there have been loads of debate about its demise - the oldest ones I found were around 2014 and referred to Oriana moving to platesd cheese offerings.  For reasons best known to a certain poster on CC every time there is a discussion about falling standards on P&O he brings it up as an example and form of Micky take when people say things aren't as good as they were.  He loves the non existent clown as well.  

We posted at exactly the same time. Your explanation was far better than mine 😉 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Britboys said:

If you have access to Google Chrome, search for cheesewheel and scroll down to the "Urban Dictionary Dictionary" suggestion...

Apparently it also means a male child who could never be mistaken for being intelligent...

Yep I did that yesterday ! Bizarre 

8 minutes ago, Britboys said:

If you have access to Google Chrome, search for cheesewheel and scroll down to the "Urban Dictionary" suggestion...

I now have a vision of all these ladies surrounding a port soaked Stilton!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Right - I’m going to assume it means a reference to lowering of standards - the etymology being cheesewheels were around once and replaced by an inferior product.

thanks for replies - I will try and incorporate it in a post sometime !!!!!!! 

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Posh people like cheesewheels and Butlins.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Then I found this:

Sometimes folk don't realise. I think it's sick ( urban definition )🤣

47 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Right - I’m going to assume it means a reference to lowering of standards - the etymology being cheesewheels were around once and replaced by an inferior product.

thanks for replies - I will try and incorporate it in a post sometime !!!!!!! 

Not sure why this topic always seems to mention port soaked stilton, I avoided that like the plague, I much prefer plain stilton, either scooped from a wheel, or plonked on a plate from a larger chunk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

He loves the non existent clown as well.  

Oh please be fair: Paul Ludlow has had his issues, but his heart is in the right place. Granted, his heart shaped like a flower and squirts tinned water at you when you get too close, but even so….

• Haha 6