Unsatisfactory Embarkation and Disembarkation in San Pedro on the NCL Joy

wildcats40

Just now, julig22 said:

That's not exactly how the NCL bus works. It (they) will be wherever the ship docks, but you must pre-arrange the transfer (and it can sell out).  You'll get luggage tags that correspond to the time your bus leaves - based on your flight time. You can carry off your luggage if you wish but really no need, as the timing is set by NCL, not you.

Thanks...I have taken the transfer before. I am rolling off my luggage because I only have a carryon. In PC we did the same thing...even though our flights didn't leave until evening, we wanted to be on the first bus because we were renting a car at MCO (none were available in PC) and going to Disney for the day.  It was no problem to request an earlier time and it was granted. But I know every situation is different so plan to just go with the flow.

Happy to hear the busses will be at the berth we get off on and will not have to take a shuttle anywhere else before leaving. 

On 1/15/2023 at 5:26 PM, Travelling2Some said:

Sorry to hear this and glad you had a good cruise otherwise.  Question . . . we are sailing from LA/San Pedro on the Bliss on 1/27, so very shortly.  You mention a tent so that makes me think you embarked from Berth 46 at the Outer Harbor rather than from the main cruise terminal?  If so, then did you first have to go to the main cruise terminal to check in and leave luggage and then be shuttled down to the Outer Harbor?  Our e-docs just seem to direct us to Berth 46 at the outer harbor but I have been reading reports that suggest we should go to the main terminal first.  I wish NCL would communicate more clearly.  Thanks for any insight.

How did it up working for you? I have a cruise in March. My edocs say berth 46 but the port website says bliss will be at berth 92. So I am confused on what to do!

Alright! Regarding the cruise ship having a different embarkation berth than debarkation berth. I was told by one of the people working at the terminal there would be a shuttle from berth 50 back to the main terminal. 

However, I would love if someone can ask as well just to make sure. 

So, just got off the Joy at berth 50. Here is how you get back to the main berths. They will provide a shuttle to berth 46 (or you can walk. It took about 5 minutes with my luggage in hand). There are two big tents at berth 46 and outside of them are a bunch of shuttle busses. Go talk to an attendant at the buses and they will tell which bud is going back to the main berths. Get on and you are good to go! 

1 hour ago, Laughingbear said:

So, just got off the Joy at berth 50. Here is how you get back to the main berths. They will provide a shuttle to berth 46 (or you can walk. It took about 5 minutes with my luggage in hand). There are two big tents at berth 46 and outside of them are a bunch of shuttle busses. Go talk to an attendant at the buses and they will tell which bud is going back to the main berths. Get on and you are good to go! 

Are there taxis there to take you to airport?

29 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

Walked off this morning with the first group. Then walked to the white tent where there was a fast moving taxi line. The walk took about 5-10 minutes. All was very easy and organized.
Now sitting at LAX waiting for flight.

We were literally the first ones off the ship(room was right around the corner) & there were no taxis yet. Glad to know they got there soon after. We just walked to our car, didn't take long at all.

14 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

We got off at 7, arrived at LAX just after 8 via NCL shuttle. Super easy and organized.

This is great to hear! We have a flight at 10:40 at long beach and I am very worried about it. I know we shouldn't book anything before noon but my boyfriend wouldn't listen so hopefully we can get the same out come as you.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, curious_me said:

This is great to hear! We have a flight at 10:40 at long beach and I am very worried about it. I know we shouldn't book anything before noon but my boyfriend wouldn't listen so hopefully we can get the same out come as you.

I would be a little concerned about a 10:40 flight. I was on a RCL ship that was delayed due to fog and we didn't dock until 7am. I think if you carry off your luggage and use a cab, you should be ok. I have waited over an hour for an Uber there so don't recommend them. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

1 hour ago, debenson0723 said:

We got off at 7, arrived at LAX just after 8 via NCL shuttle. Super easy and organized.

I will disembark in May and originally planned to get a Uber. I am surprised because I did not think NCL had a shuttle that early to LAX. Maybe I should reconsider?

I was on the Joy this past week and found embarkation and disembarkation very frustrating.  I dont know about the different berths but we were directed to a parking lot and needed to take shuttle bus back to ship. The wait wasnt too long but they packed us in the shuttle bus like sardines.  People were forced to stand. they certainly werent following Covid guidelines.  (safe distancing)  The line under the tent was long but bearable. The last stop at the table took less than a minute so I dont know why the line didnt move quicker.  Leaving the ship was horrible. They called our tag color and number and we lined up. The line snaked up and down the stairs several times. At one point we stood in the arcade for at least a half hour.  The arcade music was at a low level but very annoying. A crew member told us to be sure to have our ship card and passport ready.Neither were looked at.  Once we got outside we found our luggage very quickly under the tent. There was staff eager to help.  The only other ship I have sailed on is the Cunard Queen Mary 2. Maybe there were fewer passengers but the process was nothing like what we just experienced.  I wondered if we just sat in the atrium until the last group passed through would it have been easier. Is this what "self disembarkation" is?    Also, I dont think they were very clear on the process of disembarkation. We found the colored labels in our stateroom one evening and figured we had to put them on our luggage. My previous experience helped.

I'm sorry that things don't seem to have improved since we sailed in January when I first posted this review.  We were also in a long line standing in the arcade area for well over half an hour with who knows how many people in line behind us (we got in line early).  It was not a comfortable place at all to wait...no seats, no bathrooms, noise of the arcade machines, children running around bored.  On every other cruise I've been on we waited in a lounge or dining room area where we were comfortable until our group was called to get off.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 12:19 PM, curious_me said:

I have taken a 10:50 flight out of Long Beach 3 times in the last 7 months with plenty of time to spare. Each time I carry off my own luggage and either take an Uber or taxi. When I got off the Joy at berth 50 a few weeks ago, no one was in the taxi line and we were to the airport in no time. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kruisn'Kay said:

I have taken a 10:50 flight out of Long Beach 3 times in the last 7 months with plenty of time to spare. Each time I carry off my own luggage and either take an Uber or taxi. When I got off the Joy at berth 50 a few weeks ago, no one was in the taxi line and we were to the airport in no time. 

This makes me feel so much better. Thank you.