Help: Snorkeling in Roatan (N Breakaway)

stephanieonacruise

Looking for good snorkeling options in Roatan. There are SO many options that it's overwhelming. My two friends and I will be arriving via the N Breakaway in a few weeks. Is it easy to snorkel independently (and how do you get there)? Or are there tours you recommend? I want this to be one of the highlights since I hear the snorkeling is incredible in Roatan. Thanks!

Edited by stephanieonacruise

Tripadvisor for information on Henry Morgan resort, we took a cab there and paid entrance fee, Zumba by the pool, security and clean bathrooms. Decent restaurant with drinks. But an excellent snorkeling 🤿 from shore to the left an underwater canyon and ship 🛳 wreck. We bought our own snorkeling 🤿 gear 25 years ago and still love finding spots for basically free, other than cab ride and entrance fee!    
 Cheap drinks from vendors on beach tooooo!

• Like 2

ther

28 minutes ago, stephanieonacruise said:

Looking for good snorkeling options in Roatan. There are SO many options that it's overwhelming. My two friends and I will be arriving via the N Breakaway in a few weeks. Is it easy to snorkel independently (and how do you get there)? Or are there tours you recommend? I want this to be one of the highlights since I hear the snorkeling is incredible in Roatan. Thanks!

there is a great beach fro snorkeling in Roatan.  It is either West End Or West Bay.  you can walk right out into the water and the fish will be circling around your angles.  Or go further out to the coral reefs and catch a colorful eye full.  When you get off the ship, there are many tours that will take you to the snorkeling spots.  The spot I went to years ago had a bar/ restaurant right on the beach.  Becarful with your valuables.  Maybe only take your ID ( you need it to get into the port), your key card and a credit card. Put them all in a ziplock baggie that will fit in your pocket ( or get a waterproof travel wallet).  Don't know it equipment is for rent, but you are allowed to bring your own onboard the ship.  Do a search for snorkeling in Roatan.

• Like 2

My wife and I were just on the Breakaway in Rotan and really enjoyed the Jolly Roger catamaran & snorkeling excursion offered by NCL.  The crew was great and the snorkeling site was really awesome.  The provided equipment was all working and we both had a great time.  Have fun!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

ther

there is a great beach fro snorkeling in Roatan.  It is either West End Or West Bay.  you can walk right out into the water and the fish will be circling around your angles.  Or go further out to the coral reefs and catch a colorful eye full.  When you get off the ship, there are many tours that will take you to the snorkeling spots.  The spot I went to years ago had a bar/ restaurant right on the beach.  Becarful with your valuables.  Maybe only take your ID ( you need it to get into the port), your key card and a credit card. Put them all in a ziplock baggie that will fit in your pocket ( or get a waterproof travel wallet).  Don't know it equipment is for rent, but you are allowed to bring your own onboard the ship.  Do a search for snorkeling in Roatan.

Thanks for the detailed advice!

2 hours ago, cementhands said:

Tripadvisor for information on Henry Morgan resort, we took a cab there and paid entrance fee, Zumba by the pool, security and clean bathrooms. Decent restaurant with drinks. But an excellent snorkeling 🤿 from shore to the left an underwater canyon and ship 🛳 wreck. We bought our own snorkeling 🤿 gear 25 years ago and still love finding spots for basically free, other than cab ride and entrance fee!    
 Cheap drinks from vendors on beach tooooo!

So cool! Love this!

15 hours ago, stephanieonacruise said:

So cool! Love this!

Contact the Henry Morgan resort for price! We didn’t pay much pre covid19 as we only used chairs pool Zumba classes and bathrooms. Otherwise it can be pricey for all inclusive package. Cab driver brought us and came back at set time for set price,

The Maya Key excursion through NCL is really good snorkeling- it's an island that you get to by a short boat ride right from the cruise dock- it has excellent snorkeling, a really nice pool, animal sanctuary, nice beach area, and lunch is included. There's a bar where you can get drinks (not included).

If you have your own snorkel gear, just take the NCL Tabyana beach excursion, and not the one with beach and snorkel.   At the beach, you can walk right out into the water and the reef is about 50 yards out.   It is just right there you can’t miss it. Nice reef.

if you don’t think you are a good snorkeler, then book a snorkel tour. 

Off on our own cab ride to Henry Morgan resort paid a fee for resort. Zumba classes by pool volleyball and snorkeling 🤿 from shore to a reef to left of resort. Guys are asking to take you out to reef but we swam it. Tripadvisor or resort website for info. We got cheapest package no drinks. Wonderful pool and beautiful beach. Driver came back for us cabs available toooo!

There are private tours where you can do a "three reef snorkel" too. We used Roatan Getaway Tours last year for a combo sloth/snorkel tour (through Viator) and they were great - but that one snorkel stop was primarily for beginners (we did care, the water was warm and clear and we saw lobsters, and we did snorkeling at other ports as well). We booked them again on our upcoming April trip for a full day private experience and included the three reef snorkel this time as part of the day's package. Their snorkeling gear was really nice - soft rubber and didn't fog.