NCL with 18 month old?

rnr4thatsme

We were thinking of doing an extended family/multi generational trip but the youngest child is 18 months - rest are adults.  Are there any splash or play areas on any of the NCL ships for babies?  We won’t need to leave the child in care - lots of family to give mom and dad a break, but also want the young family to enjoy the holiday.

When our DD was 15 months old we took our first NCL cruise. Looking back do I think we were crazy to do it - yes. Did we have a lot of fun - also yes. Mind you for us going on the cruise meant a 4 hour flight so it wasn’t so easy to begin with. 

In any case we ended up having a fantastic time. We however realized that we were not comfortable to let our young daughter go to the splash type of pool area. Even with us of course with her. The area was swamped with kids aged 2-3,5’ish and they were just so big and quick in running around etc that it just didnt feel comfortable putting a 15 month old there with them as we thought she might get run over by the bigger small kids. But…we had bought a small inflatable pool and brought that with us. We of course asked the room steward if it is ok for us to use it at the balcony. It was, no problem. And our DD had the most fun time spashing around at that pool. I mean a pool like this with only 1/3 height of water in it: https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Sunset-Glow-Baby-Pool

Other than that our DD was at the ”exploring” age and she loved just to walk around and check what is where. At that age everything is new and exciting for them. We had my husband’s parents cruising with us so were able to have a couple of date nights and one shore excursion for ”mom and dad time”. Overall we did splurge though and take a suite (non-Haven) so we could have some of the dinners and breakfasts inside our suite too. If at all possible I highly recommend this. 

So what I guess I am trying to say is that even though the ship wouldn’t have any bells and whistles for a toddler you can still have a very fun cruise with the young one. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for your reply @European_CruiseGirl!   The baby pool on the balcony sounds like a great option!  This will be my first grand baby, so I am thinking too it will be nice for the mom and dad to have a trip with extended family to give them a break while also accommodating my dad who is in his 80’s and giving him special “great grandad memories”, and the other aunts and uncles who don’t have children yet.

• Like 2

The baby isn’t going to remember it. But when it comes to trips, mom and dad will probably enjoy the trip more if they give the other side of the family a chance to watch the baby for a week. Parents can stay up late. Parents can sleep in too. No shame either way, but worth a consideration. 

• Like 2

Are the grandparents going? When we cruise the grandbabies stay with us. It is a time for us to bond with them and for Mom and Dad to have some freedom. Granted the youngest we did this was when one was 3 going on 4 so it is a bit different with a toddler but I would have done it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rnr4thatsme said:

We were thinking of doing an extended family/multi generational trip but the youngest child is 18 months - rest are adults.  Are there any splash or play areas on any of the NCL ships for babies?  We won’t need to leave the child in care - lots of family to give mom and dad a break, but also want the young family to enjoy the holiday.

Talk to the Splash Academy. There are often open play times for toddlers. And some ships have toddler rooms (I never saw it open on a recent cruise - but did not specifically ask)

Splash areas require that kid be toilet trained. No diapers. No pull-ups. 

Edited by BirdTravels

49 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

Are the grandparents going? When we cruise the grandbabies stay with us. It is a time for us to bond with them and for Mom and Dad to have some freedom. Granted the youngest we did this was when one was 3 going on 4 so it is a bit different with a toddler but I would have done it.

Totally understand and will probably do at some point, but we originally were going to gift this trip to our both kids and their spouses, and now we found out a grand baby will be here!  But don’t want to leave out the childless sibling….  Just delaying it now until 2025.