Any chance of TI coverage if missing ‘early’ flight home due to late dockage?

keishashadow

Hi, haven’t cruised since the pandemic.  Prior, always went thru insure my trip & whatever policy fit our needs/price best.  Assume things may have very well changed as to general coverage options.  Need a policy to cover both a land & sea trip, ergo skipping cruise line offering.

trying to figure out if the flight home (not booked thru the cruise line) might be covered by policy if we do miss it due to a late port arrival.  

Details:

Will be disembarking ‘smallish ship’, IOS RCCL in July.  supposed to dock at 7 am, Port Canaveral.  We have been late there once on DCL but, it was engine issue.  Otherwise, easy port to navigate for us in the past.  

Looking at booking an 11:54 am flight out of SFB.  

My thot, if cleared promptly, should be able to be in vehicle by 8:30 - 9:00 am.  Afraid those last words just may haunt me

Will have rental parked in the garage, can self disembark, route approx 1 hour to airport. Drop car at terminal (SFB is very Small airport) & do have TSA precheck

I do realize if ship is late, road/car issues, we are out of luck.  As a fall back was going to book a cancellable flight at another airport later in the day.  If it weren’t quadruple the price, would just plan on using that one in the first place.

In general:  

Thinking there is probably a minimum allotted time to which you must adhere for insurance coverage to apply in this sort of situation.  Not seeing the info stated in the various policy summations on that website.  Before I call the broker & plow thru each policy, thot I’d ask here if anyone knows how this tends to work

Seem to remember seeing it printed on one of the cruiseline’s website in the past as to how early they recommended to book said flight home for each sailing.  Can’t remember which line it was or the suggested time.  

Would think stated 5 hours post dock time is plenty for port Canaveral  If it were out of FLL, wouldn’t be concerned having a noon flight.

Normally, we do take our time there & book late evening flight, enjoying an activity after disembarking.  Unfortunately, there’s only one flight with that particular airport/carrier that day.

1 hour ago, keishashadow said:

Hi, haven’t cruised since the pandemic.  Prior, always went thru insure my trip & whatever policy fit our needs/price best.  Assume things may have very well changed as to general coverage options.  Need a policy to cover both a land & sea trip, ergo skipping cruise line offering.

<snip>

Will be disembarking ‘smallish ship’, IOS RCCL in July.  supposed to dock at 7 am, Port Canaveral.  

<snip>

Will have rental parked in the garage, can self disembark, route approx 1 hour to airport. Drop car at terminal (SFB is very Small airport) & do have TSA precheck

<snip>

Thinking there is probably a minimum allotted time to which you must adhere for insurance coverage to apply in this sort of situation.  Not seeing the info stated in the various policy summations on that website.  Before I call the broker & plow thru each policy, thot I’d ask here if anyone knows how this tends to work

<snip>

If you've always used "insure my trip", why wouldn't you contact them straightaway about this, rather than asking anonymous CC members?  Why would you have to "plow thru each policy"?  Just tell them what coverage you want and ask them which policy would match your needs.

Also, insurance is regulated by the state, so what would be covered for CC members in one state might be different than what could be covered for someone in your state.  A proper insurance agent/broker should be well aware of what coverages are available in your state.

And... is that "very Small airport" *small* like that "‘smallish ship", the RCCL Icon of the Seas, which may well be the largest cruise ship, at least for a while? 😉 

That could make quite a difference, too, with a tight schedule.

If it seems to be a close call, we'd certainly have a Plan B already in mind, or perhaps just go with a different plan to start with.  We seriously try to avoid "travel stress", to the extent that we can make plans accordingly.

GC

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

If you've always used "insure my trip", why wouldn't you contact them straightaway about this, rather than asking anonymous CC members?

First of all, thank you for responding to my question. 

i already did call the brokerage company I referenced, yesterday.  It could be the weekend staff is not trained in this sort of specific issue, however, I was indeed told I would need to ferret out the likely policies myself & then call the insurance companies directly. Explanation was it wasn’t a searchable item on their end.  

Do plan on calling back during the traditional business week.  However, over the years, I’ve received some invaluable guidance from many members here who seem quite happy to pay it forward, via sharing their expertise.  

Was hoping somebody else here had waded thru some of this before me…even if they could remember where the info is posted as to earliest departure flight to book.   Yes, I could call RCCL to inquire.  Probably, will default to that when I have a few hours to spare as earlier this week it was a four hour wait before I could speak to somebody re a price drop.

Edited by keishashadow

You definitely need a different insurance agent or broker!

We use https://TripInsuranceStore.com

and I cannot imagine a response from them like that!

They probably offer some of the same policies that insure my trip does, and if they don't, it would be because they feel the other policies or insurers have some shortcoming, etc.

CALL them (TIS), and they should be able to give you more useful information.

Also, tell them what type of policies you've had in the past, so they have a good starting point with what you are used to having.

Be careful relying upon what RCCL tells you.  They cannot guarantee that a storm or mechanical failure, etc., wouldn't delay arrival....

Good luck!

GC

• Like 2

In March of 2022 we were delayed in arriving back in FLL because of a medical emergency (not related to us personally)   The ship late arrival resulted in us missing the flight departure.  I rebooked the flight for the next day and stayed in FLL overnight.  Our travel insurance paid for the hotel without any question.

Thanks!  

I’ve been able to collect on previous polices when needing medical treatment on the ship via reimbursement.

They also paid for extra ‘day’ on rental car when we were delayed.  

Surprised me both times how easy the process was.  Wouldn’t sail without it