First Princess Cruise on Sky Princess

Dreamcruiser185

2 hours ago, Dreamcruiser185 said:

I have to ask unfortunately, how bad are the chair hogs on Princess?  

It really comes down to asking their neighbors when the last time was that they saw them.

If it's been more than 20-30 minutes, and they're not in/at a nearby pool or bar, then feel free to vacate their stuff from the chair for them. 

One can either set their stuff in a conspicuous place nearby, or give it directly to a deck attendent to hold.

It's fully understandable that one might not feel comfortable doing this. Touching another's belongings may be considered as being fairly inconsiderate, or even downright rude, but then so is being a 'chair hog'.

The rules are clearly posted on signage around the deck.

My favorite is the people that seem to believe that clothespinning their towel on a chair topped with their novel du jour is going to be some sort of deterrent.

3 hours ago, Dreamcruiser185 said:

We are looking forward to our cruise on the Sky Princess.  We have 2 questions, is there any way to see the number of people on the cruise?  I have to ask unfortunately, how bad are the chair hogs on Princess?  

Once I'm bored I usually like to go to the Captain circle loyalty desk and I always ask them what the head count is for the cruise.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, rjack22 said:

But how do you know that they are not in the pool or at a bar?   You wouldn't.

I absolutely believe in the consideration of other passengers that are following deck chair etiquette.

That's why I perch up for several minutes and watch for a bit.  Double confirmation from any neighbors that they also haven't seen them for a while (if at all) is plenty enough confirmation for me.  Chairs that have been 'hogged' tend to be fairly obvious.  A bathroom break, quick trip to the bar etc. ought naught take 1/2 hour.  

I've yet to have had an issue.  Some have turned up (much) later to collect their belongings from where they've been conspicuously set.  Nary a word is spoken.  Most 'Chair Hogs' know that they're in the wrong.

Many go out early in the morning to stake their claim with the intention of returning later in the morning or afternoon to use the chair.  Or at other times, to secure the chair while going to have a meal, or attend an event somewhere else on the ship.

The vacant chair is 'free game' at that point.

Edited by Skai
  • Like 2

Re: Chair Hogs?  I buy a drink, find a chair, sit and keep watch.  After 1/2 hour, I go and very efficiently move all stuff to a nearby chair, table or dry part of a pool deck.  No guilt.  The chairs are there to be used, not saved.

I have never been confronted—generally people assume one of the pool attendants moved their stuff.  If I were, I would just fess up and say—“you were gone for over 1/2 hour.  That seems like the limit for keeping a chair without sitting in it”.  I would just do the old “broken record” technique and repeat that calmly over and over again until the person hears me.  No muss, no fuss.  

I so wish the pool attendants would do this, though.  I hate conflict.  But I am also a fan of fairness and rules 🙂

I know many people love to go by the 1/2 hour "rule"but I think its pretty obvious when you have a chair hog vs someone who is honestly using it and might have stepped away for 30-45 minutes. It can take a while to grab something to eat and come back and its easy to spot the difference.

Have I moved things? Sure,. Seeing  a chair with a single shoe and a book is a dead giveaway. Stepping away and  hearing someone say they are going to play bingo and trying to keep their chair saved is another.

But I try and be understanding . I saw a mom have an issue with her 3 year old and had to run back to the cabin. Took her almost an hour to get back, but I find that ok, especially since they were up early to secure their spot to spend the day there.

My wife and I are looking to book a cruise on Sky. We have a few questions… We see there is no Crooners on Sky, what venues have nightly live music? Where are they hosting the nightly Suite/Elite/Platinum lounge? Is their a late night DJ anywhere?  -Thanks

I don't see much mention of why there is any need to leave your lounger if you can use Medallion and the app to have drinks and some food brought to where you are sitting.  Aside from getting up to relieve yourself, needing to leave a chair to get sustenance seems rather quaint.