PEARL HARBOR NATIONAL MEMORIAL

ERNLYN

I have searched CC for clarification on fees to visit the 4 sections of the Memorial.  Iam confused as to what the actual fees are.

If I understand correctly, you can go online ahead of time and request the number of tickets and the time for your visit to the

"USS ARIZONA MEMORIAL" and pay $1.00 per ticket.  Is this also true for the "USS BOWFIN"? the "BATTLESHIP MISSOURI"? and the "AVIATION MUSEUM"?

Is the above to view each exhibit as a "SELF TOUR" for $1.00 per ticket?

I see in other websites indicating the fees are as follows. 

Battleship Missouri Memorial: $34.99, Pacific Fleet Submarine Museum: $21.99, and the Aviation Museum: $25.99.

Are the amounts above for a "GUIDED TOURS" by a narrator? 

2 hours ago, ERNLYN said:

If I understand correctly, you can go online ahead of time and request the number of tickets and the time for your visit to the

"USS ARIZONA MEMORIAL" and pay $1.00 per ticket.  Is this also true for the "USS BOWFIN"? the "BATTLESHIP MISSOURI"? and the "AVIATION MUSEUM"?

All of these things are essentially separate-- the Bowfin and Missouri are commercial enterprises with entry fees and are not run by the National Park Service. 

USS Arizona Memorial is part of the National Park Service and is administered by the US Navy. There is no fee to go to the Arizona Memorial (aside from the $1 administration fee) but you do need to reserve tickets ahead of time. Do so directly with the NPS at https://www.recreation.gov/ticket/233338/ticket/16

Do not buy tickets for the Arizona Memorial from any other site but this one. 

• Like 5

Good advice from Princeton.  I have nothing more to add, other than there is yet another area you can visit and that's Ford Island.  It also requires a separate reservation, also $1, but reservations/tickets are only released 1-2 weeks in advance.

More info here: https://www.nps.gov/perl/ford-island-bus-tour.htm 

This tour offers a special trip to visit these less-visited sites up-close with a park ranger. Visitor will board a motor coach from the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center (1 Arizona Memorial Place) with Park Rangers and travel to Ford Island for a 90-minute round-trip tour to some of the most fascinating “hidden gems” of Pearl Harbor National Memorial. 

Visitors will disembark the bus at predetermined locations for a short walk from the parking area to the USS Utah and USS Oklahoma Memorials. 

If you take this tour be sure to follow directions so that your Pearl Harbor memorial reservations do not overlap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Battleship USS Missouri Memorial, Pacific Fleet Submarine Museum, and the Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum are separate and independent and not part of what the National Park Service manages.

The USS Arizona Memorial is free. The $1 per ticket is a handling fee when you book online. If you just show up and try to get seat on the shuttle to the memorial, it is free, but no one can guarantee standby seats.

34 minutes ago, ERNLYN said:

Just to be clear, to go into the "BOWFIN SUBMARINE" without a tour guide, there is a fee of $21.99?

Correct. There is no tour guide-- all tours there are self guided. But it will cost you $21.99 per person.

You can also buy the passport for $79.99 which will also include the USS Missouri but again, this will NOT include the timed ticket you would need to go to the USS Arizona Memorial. 

On 1/15/2023 at 3:49 PM, princeton123211 said:

All of these things are essentially separate-- the Bowfin and Missouri are commercial enterprises with entry fees and are not run by the National Park Service. 

USS Arizona Memorial is part of the National Park Service and is administered by the US Navy. There is no fee to go to the Arizona Memorial (aside from the $1 administration fee) but you do need to reserve tickets ahead of time. Do so directly with the NPS at https://www.recreation.gov/ticket/233338/ticket/16

How do you get to the USS Arizona Memorial from the Cruise Port ?

Is there a local bus service ?

The ship has tours available but at a huge cost and we'd prefer to do it on our own

Thx in advance for any information

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3JCruiser said:

How do you get to the USS Arizona Memorial from the Cruise Port ?

Is there a local bus service ?

The ship has tours available but at a huge cost and we'd prefer to do it on our own

Thx in advance for any information

The local bus service is The Bus. Yes…

You can do it, but Google says 42 minutes. Less than half that by Uber, but round trip Uber could start pushing the shop’s tour. And presumably the ship’s tour will have timed tickets. How much is the tour and where else does it go?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, markeb said:

And presumably the ship’s tour will have timed tickets. How much is the tour and where else does it go?

Do not bet your 401(k) on that one!  I'd recommend asking the VERY SPECIFIC question: "Does your tour INCLUDE a timed ticket for the launch out to the USS Arizona itself?"  On two cruises through Honolulu I've seen a whole pea pot full of people disappointed that their tour did NOT include the launch out to the USS Arizona itself.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gdlamberth said:

Do not bet your 401(k) on that one!  I'd recommend asking the VERY SPECIFIC question: "Does your tour INCLUDE a timed ticket for the launch out to the USS Arizona itself?"  On two cruises through Honolulu I've seen a whole pea pot full of people disappointed that their tour did NOT include the launch out to the USS Arizona itself.

Should have said hopefully! I’d hope it would be spelled out one way or another!

Very good point. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, gdlamberth said:

Very good point, it doesn't actually specify the launch is included...and looks like its sold out anyway..

Checked with the NPS site and launch tkts all gone, looks like the next release is the day before we dock probably for cancellations..

Oh well its an excuse to go back on another trip !

Thanks everyone for your responses

There is indeed local bus service from downtown (not necessarily the pier, but within about 8 blocks).  Take bus 20, 40, 42, 51, or A, from the Bishop Street / North Beretania Street bus stop or North Beretania Street bus stop opposite Smith Street (depending upon your bus route).  It's an easy slightly uphill 10-to-12 minute walk from Pier 11 to either bus stop.  I recommend you Google it to review your route based upon day and time of day. Just be sure you select the bus icon.  The bus ride itself will take 40-55 minutes depending upon the route and time of day.  Once you arrive at the Pearl Harbor Memorial stop, you'll cross the highway at a crosswalk to get to the memorial (5 min).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2023 at 9:21 AM, CaribbeanBound said:

There is indeed local bus service from downtown (not necessarily the pier, but within about 8 blocks).  Take bus 20, 40, 42, 51, or A, from the Bishop Street / North Beretania Street bus stop or North Beretania Street bus stop opposite Smith Street (depending upon your bus route).  It's an easy slightly uphill 10-to-12 minute walk from Pier 11 to either bus stop.  I recommend you Google it to review your route based upon day and time of day. Just be sure you select the bus icon.  The bus ride itself will take 40-55 minutes depending upon the route and time of day.  Once you arrive at the Pearl Harbor Memorial stop, you'll cross the highway at a crosswalk to get to the memorial (5 min).

Thank you..I'll check out the bus routes, I see we are docking at pier 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/22/2023 at 10:21 AM, CaribbeanBound said:

I just want to thank you for this information.  Thank you!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.recreation.gov/ticket/facility/233338

We went through the above website to reserve our tickets to tour USS Arizona.  The tickets are $1.00 each on line and you will have a reserved day and time.  We rented a car once we got off our cruise ship and it's a 20 minute drive from the port.  We had 2:00 pm tickets, arrived around 1:00 pm, parked, watched the movie in the theater and we were in line to board the ferry at 1:45.  Easy to Uber there as well if you don't want to rent a car.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone has taken the bus, I'd appreciate your take on whether it was on time and how long it took.  Since I will be trying to get a timed reservation, I want to make sure we get there in time.

18 hours ago, theloo said:

If anyone has taken the bus, I'd appreciate your take on whether it was on time and how long it took.  Since I will be trying to get a timed reservation, I want to make sure we get there in time.

You need to plan to arrive a minimum of 1 hour prior to your reservation time. The length of time it takes on the bus, an Uber/Lyft, or taxi can vary a lot depending on where you catch it and traffic.  Also, be aware that the boats to the Arizona maybe canceled if there are strong winds. I used Lyft from the port and it took about 25 minutes for the ride to get there and another 45 minutes to get to the park.  I took the bus coming back. It arrived at the stop within 5 minutes of the scheduled time and took about 50 minutes to get to a stop near the Aloha Towers, but I’m sure that could vary a lot based on traffic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Free2bMeForever said:

You need to plan to arrive a minimum of 1 hour prior to your reservation time. The length of time it takes on the bus, an Uber/Lyft, or taxi can vary a lot depending on where you catch it and traffic.  Also, be aware that the boats to the Arizona maybe canceled if there are strong winds. I used Lyft from the port and it took about 25 minutes for the ride to get there and another 45 minutes to get to the park.  I took the bus coming back. It arrived at the stop within 5 minutes of the scheduled time and took about 50 minutes to get to a stop near the Aloha Towers, but I’m sure that could vary a lot based on traffic.

Thanks!  I'll plan on 1 hour to get there, so leave the ship about 2 hours before the reservation time.  We will be there on a Thursday.  Is there a rush hour that I should try to avoid?

Edited by theloo

love to cruise 2017,

Will you be on NCL?  We just finished a cruise on NCL in Hawaii and chose their transfer "Pearl Harbor & City Tour" with airport drop off.  It fit our needs perfectly.  Debark from the ship was a breeze.  Luggage stayed on bus.  We had city tour with a stop for King Kamehameha statue pictures and almost 4 hours at Pearl Harbor.  Arrived at airport about 1:45 pm for our 4:30 pm flight.

• 9 months later...
On 1/15/2023 at 3:49 PM, princeton123211 said:

Thank you so much for this information. I was able to book our USS Arizona time through my rec.gov account for $1 each. I chose an early time at 9:45 a.m. for April 2024. We will take a taxi from the pier to Pearl Harbor. Based on what I read Taxi, Uber or Lyft would be the quickest way. 

5 hours ago, Katjoy said:

We will take a taxi from the pier to Pearl Harbor. Based on what I read Taxi, Uber or Lyft would be the quickest way. 

I find taxis tedious in Honolulu for shorter, non airport rides like this. Uber and Lyft-- being able to pay through the app-- is much easier. There are far fewer taxis now then there ever have been in the past. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

We are in port on Feb 25, 2025, and would like to tour the site as we are history buffs.  My friend doesn't walk well and uses a manual wheelchair for distances.  The ADA tours by the ship are sold out already so totally unsure what to do now.  Any suggestions?