Change of Itinerary NCL Joy 3/25/23

xray121995

16 hours ago, xray121995 said:

Wondering what to do in Belize City.  We received a notice of itinerary change from Costa Maya, which I Love, to Belize City. Never been there. Any suggestions. It will be a friend and I.

Ahhh, that would have been cool! We are on the 3/18 Joy sailing. Costa Maya was cut for us as well, and replaced with a sea day. I don't mind sea days, so I'll totally live up my best life on the ship! But, seeing a new place would have been really great too. 

Have fun!

Curious if the reason for the change is known. We have Costa Maya on our schedule, but several months away still.  I have gathered that changes to itineraries have become a lot more common these days, but it would be nice to know if we should anticipate a change or if this March update may be a one-off issue.

16 minutes ago, PNWMomma said:

Curious if the reason for the change is known. We have Costa Maya on our schedule, but several months away still.  I have gathered that changes to itineraries have become a lot more common these days, but it would be nice to know if we should anticipate a change or if this March update may be a one-off issue.

They're claiming "port congestion" for our cruise. I guess five ships were scheduled to be in port and I've heard (though not confirmed) Costa Maya can only take up to four ships, so the Joy was booted out.

21 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

They're claiming "port congestion" for our cruise. I guess five ships were scheduled to be in port and I've heard (though not confirmed) Costa Maya can only take up to four ships, so the Joy was booted out.

Thank you. Some quick searches yield two websites indicating there are four ships scheduled for the day we’re supposed to be there. But not certain how accurate they are as I also see that Joy is still showing to be in port for both your March itineraries with 3 and 4 ships total in port. 🤷‍♀️ Looking like I will just have to wait and see. Meanwhile I won’t tell the kids anything solid for activities that may not happen.

• Like 1

That is unfortunate!  Personally I would not even get off the ship.  Been to Belize City twice, I would not have went the 2nd time but NCL's new port did not open on schedule and we were diverted,  the port itself has some cute bars and shops but beyond the port gate; which requires a security booth it is quite bad.  Up in your personal space, don't take no for an answer.  Sidewalks are quite uneven and broken.  There is really no where to go, there is a nasty man made "beach" which is a hole filled with nasty water which will cost you to get to. I have heard not great things about the tubing as well, a long hot trek through the jungle with $8 warm beers. It is also a tendered port. 

Thank you for the responses. Are the bars and shops close or not? I'd just stay in the shop but my Friend wants to go get off since it's a new port for us....

We were also told "port congestion". I love Costa Maya. We usually go to Maya Chan, in fact we were booked and received a refund. Maya Chan is our favorite Excursion.  If you've never heard of it. Do a search. It's a great beach day, all inclusive with your own assigned Papala or similar to just relax. Included a great lunch, all you care to eat, and beverages.   Yummm 🏝️🍺🍹

• Like 1

Are you sure it's Belize City and not harvest Cay where NCL usually goes.  There may be a ship or two scheduled for there as well.

But in Belize City, the unique thing to do is cave tubing.  Also the Mayan ruins are interesting if you like history.