Help with Venice hotel for one night pre-cruise

hrt4girls

We are arriving in Venice one day prior to a cruise.  The flight arrives at 9 am and we have the day to explore the city.  The next morning we need to be at the bus station for our transfer to Ravenna for our cruise.  My first thought was to stay at a hotel near St Marks Square so we would be in the middle of the city and it would be easy to get around.  I planned for us to take a water taxi, either shared or private to the hotel and then another in the morning back to the bus station.  We have booked Hotel Saturnia International for $325 for that night.  But these plans are tentative and can be cancelled and changed.

My questions are this.....if we follow this plan, is this hotel a good choice?  The review ratings are good but that doesn't always tell the whole story.  

My second question is......would we be better off staying at a hotel closer to the bus station and be able to go off sightseeing without worrying about our luggage and a longer trip back to the bus station in the morning?  If so, please suggest a hotel in a similar price range.

We have never been to Venice and want to enjoy the one day we have there.  Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Personally, I would stay closer to Piazzale Roma, buses pick up either there or at Tronchetto.  

Piazza San Marco is lovely and important, but in my opinion there's no need to stay there, or near there, to get the full experience of it.  

The Sofitel Hotel Papadopoli is close to Piazzale Roma and quite nice:  Hotel Papadopoli

If you are physically able, walking is the best way to see the real Venice.  Everywhere around San Marco will be wall-to-wall people (unless you travel in winter, but not during Carnevale), to see Venice you need to wander away from that area.

With only one day I'd pick just one or two places (Doge's Palace and either the basilica or the campanile) to tour and spend the rest of the time wandering.  

Edited by euro cruiser

Given your short amount of time, the Piazzale Roma area would be an efficient location to stay.  P Roma is the last point of land travel in Venice, so it's where taxis, buses, cars drop off/pickup their pax.  There are a few hotels right on the square and a few more if you can manage your luggage over a small bridge and a couple of blocks:

'How Many Bridges?' hotel listings for Piazzale Roma | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

A taxi from the airport to P Roma will cost about 45e, 20 minute ride.

The ATVO Airport Express is also 20minutes, 10e pp.

(You might want to verify where you will meet your bus. The cruiselines usually pick up at Tronchetto.)

Looking at your signature, I believe you're on Celebrity. If so, you'll need to take the People Mover to Tronchetto to get your bus transfer. When I did this in October, there were two time options -- I would suggest taking the later one. Makes for less of a rush in the morning. 

If you're only there for one night, it may be easiest to stay in Piazzale Roma. If you're taking a bus from the airport, they will drop you off in the Piazzale, so you won't have far to go before you can leave your bags and get going with your sightseeing.

Papadopoli is a nice hotel. I can also recommend Hotel Santa Chiara which is right on the corner of the Piazzale (no bridges to cross), and for your price range you should be able to get a canal-view room.  Piazzale Roma is not the greatest area for restaurants, so I would suggest you do your sightseeing and then dine before coming back to your hotel in the evening.

If you were staying for anything more than a single night, I'd recommend another area, but for one night.... it's a reasonable compromise.

In the morning, you simply have to take your luggage across to the diagonally opposite point of the Piazzale to get on the People Mover.

I was there in October and stayed at the Santa Chiara. I was lucky enough to get upgraded and had a lovely room in the old building with a large terrace and canal views:

image.png.ec4d71def537b975e91b8e0031e7ada9.png 

image.png.d5d10f55d207cd76f0f7f3e56a9ccc76.png

image.png.057721e5112d9e992c227031a804f6dc.png

• Like 3

Agree with all the responses, I don't think it is necessary to stay near San Marco.  I have a comment / suggestion on timing...   Venice is so much more pleasant after 5 pm when the crowds leave.  You are fortunate to be there for an evening.  Unfortunately if you are arriving from N. America at 9 am, you may be dead tired at 6 pm in Venice, when it is the most pleasant to wander.   You could take a nap at noon (if room ready) and avoid the crowds (although from a jet lag standpoint, napping on arrival is usually strongly discouraged).   In this case, I would probably violate that rule to enjoy Venice from 5 -10 pm.   Early next morning would also be a great time to stroll before you head to ship. 

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone for the detailed suggestions. We have decided to book a room near Piazzalle Roma. The prices are high in late May but busy season will do that. We booked a room at Hotel Popadopoli and we are crossing our fingers that we can handle the jet lag well enough to see some of the city. Your suggestions were all very helpful

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
3 minutes ago, Paris2019 said:

Hi, 

I need to get Celebrity bus for Ravenna at Tronchetto in Sep. Staying at Rialto Hotel. 
Would this be easy via public transport? Private taxi boat is v.expensive. 
thank you

If you can easily manage your luggage, you could walk from your hotel to Piazzale Roma.  At P Roma you get on the People Mover (a monorail) for a 3 minute ride to Tronchetto.

If you can't manage your luggage, take a vaporetto to Piazzale Roma, then catch the People Mover.

Venice People Mover | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

How are you getting to your hotel ?  I would guess via Piazzale Roma so you will be somewhat familiar with the area. 

24 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

If you can easily manage your luggage, you could walk from your hotel to Piazzale Roma.  At P Roma you get on the People Mover (a monorail) for a 3 minute ride to Tronchetto.

If you can't manage your luggage, take a vaporetto to Piazzale Roma, then catch the People Mover.

Venice People Mover | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

How are you getting to your hotel ?  I would guess via Piazzale Roma so you will be somewhat familiar with the area. 

Thanks so much for the reply. 
We plan to get Alilaguna waterbus from airport directly to Rialto (so no trains). 
We will have a big suitcase each. 
Would the walk be very far to P.Roma? 
(we are good walkers & have walked in other big cities to get to hotels.. Paris, Florence..).  Wouldn’t want it to be too far! 

A private taxi is expensive. 

Thank you 🙂

it would be 25-30 minutes to walk, assuming you have a great sense of direction !  And you'd have some bridges to cross.  

With a large suitcase it might be best to take the vaporetto.  A vaporetto (water bus) is a form of public transportation. One ride is 9.5E.   (if you're buying a 24hr pass for other sightseeing purposes, time it so that your ride to Piazzale Roma is within the 24 hrs, but otherwise 9.50 is your fare)

46 minutes ago, Paris2019 said:

Thank you. 
Yes I think that sounds like a good plan. 
Would there be a vaporetto near Rialto hotel to take us directly to P.Roma? 

Thank you this great help, much appreciated. 

The hotel's website says that there is a vaporetto stop ("Rialto Bridge") that is 20 meters from the hotel.

I googled this and seems luggage is allowed. Many have brought big suitcases. 

An idea (what I will do) is have a look at Youtube videos ‘vaporetto in Venice Italy’

to understand how they work. 

Thanks!

Regarding luggage limits on vaporetto. From Venice for Visitors

Venice ACTV Vaporetto and Bus Fares for 2023 | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

• On water buses, you're allowed to carry one piece of luggage with a combined length, width, and height of 150 cm (60 inches) or less, plus a smaller backpack, purse, or other personal item.

For more luggage, or for a bigger bag, you may need to pay a supplement. Ask the agent in the ticket booth or the boat conductor as you board.

Can't say that I've ever seen anyone checking the size of luggage, only checking that tickets were validated.  OTOH I've never seen pax with more than 1 suitcase plus a personal item.  Look closely at the crowded vaporetto in the next photo.  1 large suitcase is manageable in that crowd but more than that would be difficult. 

Venice Vaporetto Line 1 (Grand Canal to Lido) | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

8 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

Regarding luggage limits on vaporetto. From Venice for Visitors

Venice ACTV Vaporetto and Bus Fares for 2023 | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

• On water buses, you're allowed to carry one piece of luggage with a combined length, width, and height of 150 cm (60 inches) or less, plus a smaller backpack, purse, or other personal item.

For more luggage, or for a bigger bag, you may need to pay a supplement. Ask the agent in the ticket booth or the boat conductor as you board.

Can't say that I've ever seen anyone checking the size of luggage, only checking that tickets were validated.  OTOH I've never seen pax with more than 1 suitcase plus a personal item.  Look closely at the crowded vaporetto in the next photo.  1 large suitcase is manageable in that crowd but more than that would be difficult. 

Venice Vaporetto Line 1 (Grand Canal to Lido) | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

Thanks!  Perhaps dh is right and instead of three wheeled pieces of luggage, we should each bring one wheeled and one backpack. I’ll just buy a new one, because our backpacks are really big (they have optional wheels!). I’ve seen several “packing for Europe” videos with smaller backpacks that fit much better over the handle of the wheeled suitcase.