London Hotels before Transatlantic (and transportation)

SDCB432

My husband and I are sailing out of Southampton in October. We fly into Heathrow 2 days before the cruise so we need transportation to hotel in London, and also transportation from London to Southampton on day of cruise.  My questions are:

What are some hotel options (moderate pricing) with ease to transportation as well as sightseeing.

What should we use from Heathrow to Hotel and from Hotel to Southampton?

Thank you in advance

I used www.justairports.com from LHR to my London hotel.  Use hotel’s postal code to get a quote.

I stayed at Premier Inn Waterloo (Westminster) 5x. Hotel has restaurant, bar, close to Hop On Hop Off bus, regular bus, 2 tube stations, Waterloo train station, restaurants, pubs, stores, grocery store, London Eye, Big Ben, Thamas river, Parliament, Westminster Abbey.

If going to Southampton on cruise day, check out 

www.internationakfriend.co.uk , under Shore Excursion & Transfer.

They pick up from certain London hotels, stopping at Stonehenge then dropping off at the Southampton dock.

2 hours ago, phabric said:

If going to Southampton on cruise day, check out 

www.internationakfriend.co.uk , under Shore Excursion & Transfer.

https://www.internationalfriends.co.uk/shore-excursions-and-cruise-transfers.html 

Choose a hotel between Victoria in the west & the Tower of London in the east, and from the A501 road in the north to the south bank of the River Thames.

Victoria & Paddington have a wide range of hotels (including the cheapest central London hotels for tourists) and the easiest public transport from Heathrow (bus to Victoria, train to Paddington). There are direct buses and slow trains to Southampton from Victoria. Victoria is also close to Buckingham Palace and the museum complex of South Kensington.

The Westminster Bridge / County Hall / Waterloo area is one of the best for visiting iconic places on foot across Westminster Bridge (Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Churchill's War rooms,  Horse Guards Parade, etc) plus the London Eye, river cruises and waterfront walks &  restaurants along the South Bank. And cheap fast & frequent direct trains from Waterloo station to Southampton.

But accommodation is big national & international hotels, there are very few privately-run hotels & pubs. And, with luggage,  public transport from Heathrow is a little fraught - best to book a private transfer, off-the-top=of-my-head about £65 to £70

If the hotel prices in this area make your eyes water, don't bother checking out hotels in Park Lane, Mayfair or Bloomsbury, they're very expensive - even on a Monopoly Board 😏

If in London at the weekend (and only at the weekend) there's good value to be found in hotels in the financial district of Canary Wharf, though its at the extreme eastern end of tourist London. And mebbe in "The Square Mile" or "The Temple" area, which attract business and legal clients.

There are cheaper hotels in decent areas outside central London - Kensington, Earls Court or Camden Town for instance, and London's tube (metro) is fast & frequent - but probably too far to consider returning to your hotel to freshen-up for an evening in central London.

London's sights are spread  over a fair area, no hotel is convenient for everywhere. So choose a hotel close to a tube station.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/ is an excellent source for hints about accommodation, sights and logistics.

But the private tours that they offer tend to  be over-priced - well, someone has to pay for their website 😏

JB 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m guessing my wife and I are on the same cruise.  We arrive on the 6th and are booked at the Premiere Inn Waterloo as it is close to Waterloo station.   We are planning to take the train to Southampton on the 8th.   We are thinking about taking an Uber or private car from Heathrow to the hotel.