Prima main dining room "specials"

cc-riderslc

Prima past passengers. On the menu in the main dining room there is an unnamed "special" dish that changes each night. I have heard it can be a dish from one of the specialty restaurants but I have never heard what food is available. Does anyone know what food dishes are available if you choose the special? 

16 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Examples.... not sure if they are all a $15 upcharge

One special a night

image.thumb.png.bd8812b59e08ec0c49627bacfbab6f59.png

image.thumb.png.ce1fe4f9946b22ce82cdcaf440536e46.png

Thanks for posting! Does the menu really not say which specialty restaurant the item is from? That Cioppino sounds lovely. But, when does Ciopinno not sound lovely? I'd be a little worried about the serving size given it's NCL though. Also, not exactly a fan of paying an upcharge for a special (I know the whole idea is to sample specialty restaurants through the specials). I'm still not having it - which is one of many reasons I'm not sailing pr1ma for many years.

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Thanks for posting! Does the menu really not say which specialty restaurant the item is from? That Cioppino sounds lovely. But, when does Ciopinno not sound lovely? I'd be a little worried about the serving size given it's NCL though. Also, not exactly a fan of paying an upcharge for a special (I know the whole idea is to sample specialty restaurants through the specials). I'm still not having it - which is one of many reasons I'm not sailing pr1ma for many years.

I had it from Ocean Blue on Joy and even though calamari was not listed it was loaded with it.  It was so chewy, like rubber bands.  It sounded so good too

795BFE3C-A795-4278-89C8-ADFEE7E1DA49.jpeg

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

You can always ask your server which restaurant it's from.  

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

You can always ask your server which restaurant it's from.  

Well...that's just too obvious an answer. Haha I always make it so complicated. 

3 hours ago, rxlowry said:

I had it from Ocean Blue on Joy and even though calamari was not listed it was loaded with it.  It was so chewy, like rubber bands.  It sounded so good too

Yikes! Well, I'm hoping the broth was yummy. Looks like it may be. 

5 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

This new MDR menu was planned to be rolled out to all ships at some point. 

5 hours ago, rxlowry said:

So greasy! You can see the oil floating on top!

That isn't, IMO, cioppino. Everything about that dish looks wrong, not to mention that it looks about 1/3 the portion size I would expect.

I hope it tasted good, at least. 

When I sailed on Prima all of the specials were a $15 upcharge. I hadn't realized that before boarding. I also thought the menu was too small to be the same for the week. But that's me. 

I'm glad I saw that photo of the cioppino. I'm sailing on Joy in March and was planning on Ocean Blue for the cioppino. I'm crossing that off the list. 

• Like 1

Had the Cioppino at Ocean Blue on the Escape last February, it definitely looked and tasted like it should (good rich flavor with a little bit of a bite).  It looked nothing like the "rubber-band soup" picture above (which doesn't even look like there is tomato in the base -- it looks more like an almost clear broth).  It was full of shrimp, clams, scallops, mussels, etc.

1 hour ago, KurtMo said:

Had the Cioppino at Ocean Blue on the Escape last February, it definitely looked and tasted like it should (good rich flavor with a little bit of a bite).  It looked nothing like the "rubber-band soup" picture above (which doesn't even look like there is tomato in the base -- it looks more like an almost clear broth).  It was full of shrimp, clams, scallops, mussels, etc.

Definitely struck me as a beef broth, not tomato-based.