Sitka and Skagway, Alaska tour help

mycruise2000

Hello, going on Radiance of the seas, RCL in July 2023. 

1. We wanted to bus trip to Emerald lake, with ship only docking for 7hrs in Skagway (7am to 2pm) is it enough time to see Emerald lake and back on ship by 2pm. 

2. What are the recommended tours in Sitka.

3. Any tour company recommendations.

Appreciate your help.

We have both rented cars in Skagway when on port calls, and have actually driven our own vehicles to Skagway.  You may be pushing your time trying to drive to Emerald Lake.  When we rented vehicles in Skagway we the car rental office didn't open until 8 AM.

Sitka is very easy to DIY.  The Russian Bishop's House, the Sheldon Jackson Museum and Sitka National Historical Park are all with in easy walking distance from the Harrigan Centennial Center.  Unless you  have serious mobility problems the Raptor Center is also within walking distance.  The Fortress of the Bear is not.  Sitka has a visitor center website with a visitor guide; use goggle to find the website.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, brnsofia said:

I too was going to ask about Sitka as not finding many good excursions. I looked at Alaskashoreexcursions and booked skagway through them. heard they were good. you can check them out. but sitka has me puzzled

We will be cruising to Sitka in May 2023 and I was also having a hard time choosing an excursion in Sitka... We are very outdoorsy and avid nature enthusiasts so I was having a hard time finding an excursion that was really about exploring the nature outside the city that didn't involve being on a small boat for many hours (I have post-concussion syndrome so get motion sickness easily). We finally settled on an excursion called "Sitka's Great Adventure - A Back Country Hike". I haven't seen it available anywhere other than through the cruise, but it seems to include everything we enjoy most - a bit of kayaking, hiking through the forest, a campfire, nice views... Just an idea that may be a bit different than the typical tours that keep coming up 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2023 at 8:30 PM, Bostonjetset said:

In Sitka, we went to Fortress of the Bear and the Raptor Center on our own via taxi.  Both were great. There are also some things to see in the downtown area (St Michael’s for example) that are easy to DIY. 

Did you book your taxi pre-cruise, or are they readily available when you get to town?

58 minutes ago, DynamoLiz said:

Did you book your taxi pre-cruise, or are they readily available when you get to town?

We did not book in advance. I don’t remember having a problem finding one at the port. Of course that was 6.5 years ago but I can’t imagine it being too much of an issue. 

1 hour ago, Bostonjetset said:

We did not book in advance. I don’t remember having a problem finding one at the port. Of course that was 6.5 years ago but I can’t imagine it being too much of an issue. 

During the global suspension of cruising caused by the pandemic  the owners of the private dock took advantage of the free time and have expanded the docking facilities.  Not only can multiple ships now dock, the large ships like the Quantam of the Seas, Ovation of the Seas and NCL Bliss can also dock.  

An acquaintance in Fairbanks grew up in Sitka and was in Sitka for the Christmas 2021 holidays.  He told me that the community is trying to make plans for the days when they will five ships docked at once.  They are concerned about pedestrian traffic, having sufficient trash containers and so forth.  So check the Sitka cruise terminal port calls before assuming that there will be no issues with obtaining walk-up tours.  

19 hours ago, Bostonjetset said:

How about the return trip, did you have to call for a taxi or were they waiting for tourists?  Thank you.  

12 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

How about the return trip, did you have to call for a taxi or were they waiting for tourists?  Thank you.  

If I remember correctly we arranged with the taxi to come back and pick us up at the Fortress of the Bear after a set time (an hour or two I can’t remember) and bring us to the Raptor Center. Repeated same to go back to the ship. Sort of like hiring a car but without holding him for the day so he could take other fares in between. 

• Thanks 1