Santorini DIY Tour and Sunset - Help

Alphawolf

Our cruise ship will be in port 8:00am to 10:00pm and sunset is around 8:40pm.  I'm looking to do a DIY tour of Oia and Fira but that won't take up the 14 hours we are in port so I had a few questions on what the best options should be.  Currently I have the ships excursion for Oia booked already so that I can avoid the tenders and cable car hysteria at Fira.  We may or may not ditch the tour depending on if we want to stay longer in Oia.

Assuming Oia takes about 3 hours, bus to Fira takes 1 hour (includes a wait), and we hang out in Fira for another few hours that has us ending around 2:00-3:00pm. 

1. Should we just return to the ship for the rest of the day? What else could we do (I don't want to drive)

2. Is it feasible to return to the ship then go back to the island and enjoy dinner and sunset?

3. Should we sleep in instead and then head out to the island take the ferry from Fira to Oia (I think it stops around noon?)  and this way we will finish in Fira around dinner time to see the sunset?

4. Does anyone have a recommendation for a great sunset spot?  I've read seeing the sunset from the ship is great, so is it worth staying and see from the island and dealing with the crowd at the cable car?

TIA

I will likely get flamed for saying that during our many visits to the island the best sunset was actually on the deck of the old Star Princess on a perfect evening.  I was sitting in one of the hot tubs with a perfect view of the island (looking towards both Fira and Oia, and as the sun set behind me, the changing colors and shadows of the cliffs was simply jaw dropping.   That being said, many would say that, on the island, the best place to be at sunset is Oia.  But that is not very practical with a 10pm departure since you would need to somehow get back to Fira, down the cable car, and on a tender (last tender is likely 9:30).  

You ask is it "worth it" and we would say that actually staying on the island (preferably in Oia) for a few days and watching the sunsets is worht it.  But doing it with the anxiety of getting back to the ship is probably not worth it to many folks.

Hank

• Like 1

With an 8:40 sunset and a 10:00 departure, I would view the sunset from the ship.  Then you don't have to worry about getting down the cable car or donkey path and on to a tender boat back to the ship in a hurry. You will have ample opportunity thru the day to see how amazing the island looks with the water all around.

I should stipulate that the 8:40 sunset is from google and from what I understand that is when the sun is completely gone from view.  I'm thinking if I am on the island, it wouldn't be in Oia as I understand it is crazy crowded and as you mentioned too far from the tender port.  I would be in Fira so near the cable car.  Looks like we are the last cruise ship to leave that day as all the others are gone by 6:00, 7:00, 9:00pm.  So unless the cable car is backed up for more than an hour I would think leaving before 8:30 would be a possibility but as you said could be a little nerve wracking.

I assume the tenders are running all day so I could catch one in the afternoon if we wanted to head back to the island.

We enjoyed beutiful sunset views from the upper decks of the ship, and that evening, a local group of singers and dancers performed on deck around the pool area.

Fira has more to offer than shopping as there are also small  museums,  and depending on your interests one or two might also pass some time.  Check Tripadvisor and other websites for info.

On 1/17/2023 at 7:44 PM, Alphawolf said:

I should stipulate that the 8:40 sunset is from google and from what I understand that is when the sun is completely gone from view.  I'm thinking if I am on the island, it wouldn't be in Oia as I understand it is crazy crowded and as you mentioned too far from the tender port.  I would be in Fira so near the cable car.  Looks like we are the last cruise ship to leave that day as all the others are gone by 6:00, 7:00, 9:00pm.  So unless the cable car is backed up for more than an hour I would think leaving before 8:30 would be a possibility but as you said could be a little nerve wracking.

The sunsets in Greek Islands are beautiful.  However, the problem with the sunset at Santorini is that the ship is in the caldera, meaning that the view of the sunset will be blocked by either Thirasia or Tholos Naftilos.  Given that you've looked up the sunset time, you may also want to note the alzimuth of the sunset, and compare it to the position of the ship when you drop anchor in the morning.

Alternatively, you could do what @MeHeartCruising suggested, and during the sunset don't look towards the sun, but away from it.