Insurence/canecellation question.

mikebisch

I was told by the insurance co. that all prepaid and non refundable costs is how you figure out the coverage you need.  My question, what if anything on my list is non refundable...

fare = non refundable

taxes/fees = ?

amenities = non refundable

pre paid gratuities - ?

Mike

20 minutes ago, mikebisch said:

taxes/fees = ?

Refundable

20 minutes ago, mikebisch said:

pre paid gratuities - ?

Refundable

21 minutes ago, mikebisch said:

amenities

Not sure what you're including in "amenities"

22 minutes ago, mikebisch said:

fare = non refundable

Correct

Only your base cruise fare is non-refundable (after the date when final payment is due and on a sliding scale).  Everything else would be refunded - taxes, port charges, FAS gratuities, pre-paid gratuities, shore excursions.  I always book any hotels as easily canceled up to almost the last minute so I don't insure that cost.  I do insure the airfare if it is non-refundable. 

2 hours ago, mikebisch said:

I was told by the insurance co. that all prepaid and non refundable costs is how you figure out the coverage you need.  My question, what if anything on my list is non refundable...

fare = non refundable

taxes/fees = ?

amenities = non refundable

pre paid gratuities - ?

Mike

The only thing that is non-refundable is your cruise fare and insurance. everything else is refunded to the original form of payment. This has absolutely nothing to do with the insurance company. It is all NCL. That being said, if you booked through a travel agent, they may have some penalties for cancelling a cruise. 

From the day of final payment to departure, there are cruise fare penalties up to 100% for cancelling. 

Whether the insurance company reimburses your cruise fare depends on why you cancelled. And if the insurance company determines it to be a "covered reason". And they will do everything possible to determine that it is not covered or that you did not provide sufficient documentation for the claim. So it is critical that you understand what you need to file an insurance claim. 

Can't just say "I wasn't feeling well". You need to have a doctor complete the requisite forms (which some doctors don't want to do because it drags them into your insurance claim and opens them up for liability in the event of insurance fraud). 

Insurance sold through NCL is not  cancel for any reason. The insurance company can deny the claim. At which point NCL, not the insurance company, will offer some FCC for another cruise. 

Edited by BirdTravels