Late April East bound TA

luv4cruises

We are wondering  what to expect weather wise during the crossing?  Would love yo hear from experienced east bound TA cruisers.  We are headed to Northern Europe at the end of April.  Will it be possible to walk the track under normal circumstances? (No storms) 

Thank you. My husband likes to walk 5 miles/day.  Happy cruising! 

Edited by luv4cruises
Typos

I've done quite a number of the TA's

As you would expect we do not have any control what may be thrown our way with the changing weather conditions so will only speak of generalities.    I will be sailing myself in April on Apex to Rotterdam.

Best to check your Itinerary ---

We leave Fort Lauderdale where temps will be 70-80's

Bermuda  - Mid 60's to 70

Now this is best to just google on ports  bu we are doing UK La Havre  and then Rotterdam  where temps will run between low 40's to about 55.

OK... now at sea.   Relatively warm and even sunbathing on the way to Bermuda.

After that you can expect the temperatures to quickly cool but you will be in the Atlantic Current and will be in the mid  40's to mid 50's.  

I walk 10 miles a day and do it everyday regardless of rain.    I find the temperatures are very comfortable with just a sweatshirt or a puffer.  You can always take it off with layers.

The largest deterrent to walking might be the winds that are unpredictable even on a warm weather cruise.    When it get's too windy to comfortably walk  take to the hallways.    Starting at the top and working my way down.    On the S-Class and M-Clss ships there are a couple floor that are complete loops while most are dead ended hallways forward.   

Edited by Jim_Iain

We have taken two eastbound TAs - one in late March, one in late April. 

I walked on the deck every day except when the deck was closed due to very high seas. Every other day, there was always wind - so absolutely needed at least a wind breaker. And I've often worn gloves and a hat, too. I recall an early May beautiful and sunny day sailing through the Bay of Biscay and it was about 6C. I was wearing a jacket, hat, gloves and pants while a few brave souls were sunbathing!

Thank you, Jim !  We are on the same cruise as you!  We are looking forward to their unique jogging track but will have to take it indoors when the weather doesn’t cooperate. . We often cruise S class ships. This is our first TA and our first Edge class. I’ve followed many of your posts and love the info you provide as a very“well traveled” cruiser.  Thank you again!

Edited by luv4cruises

1 hour ago, luv4cruises said:

Thank you, Jim !  We are on the same cruise as you!  We are looking forward to their unique jogging track but will have to take it indoors when the weather doesn’t cooperate. . We often cruise S class ships. This is our first TA and our first Edge class. I’ve followed many of your posts and love the info you provide as a very“well traveled” cruiser.  Thank you again!

The unique jogging trace is indeed nice.   From past crossings I would expect that we can walk outdoors more often than not.    While I've never worn gloves (except in Greenland) I do have head band that I use to cover my ears when the wind is up.   I use it, no so much for temperatures but to keep my Ear Bud Pros from whistling from the wind when listening to audiobooks while walking.

Your husband will definitely see us out there walking with quite a number of others.   We have a tendancy to walk between 11 and 1:30-1:45 ( have to make lunch).

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Last year on the Apex TA to Amsterdam , i was wear shorts everyday in port and walking around Amsterdam 

Good to hear.   Hope it is the same for us.  We are spending a week in Amsterdam between the TA and a British Isle cruise.    Last week they moved many of the cruises to either embark or disembark Rotterdam due to new port hour and protocols.    From what I've read is it is due to sea level's raising and salinity so they will be restricting some of the canal hours of operation.

We will arrive the TA now in Rotterdam but will be embarking for the British Isle in Amsterdam but returning to Rotterdam.   It has really made a lot of the passengers to scramble to rearrange plans.

OP: Jim has given you some sound advice. 

I see Poway CA is near San Diego , at about 500' asl. This has a bearing, since it's about what you're used to - i.e. warm (dry?) weather. I recall being in San Diego when the temp was in the 50s and folk were saying it was "freezing"!

As Jim says, light layering is the way to go.

As to wind, you may be pleasantly surprised. Eastbound TAs sail along with the prevailing south-westerly winds and it can seem almost calm on board.

If you want to enjoy the weather out on deck, do it sooner rather than later in the cruise. Be prepared for bumpy seas as you pass by the Bay of Biscay, off western France. Beyond that, a good quality umbrella is invaluable while on land! Think unpredictable but no, not storms - at least not at that end of your cruise...