Internet

smheese

Is the only way to text between phones of people in your party to sign up for their internet package? I know my husband and I will likely want the internet, however I'm thinking if there's not another way or onboard wifi with a Royal Caribbean app or something where you can communicate with your party then we might want to add one of our kids phones to the internet plan too, so we can text with them when the adults and kids are separated? Please help me out and explain to me how party communication works here. It's our first time on RC. Thank you. 

1 minute ago, smheese said:

Please help me out and explain to me how party communication works here. It's our first time on RC.

The RCI app has a free built in text option (no internet package needed) - all in the party above 13 can use it.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/17/2023 at 5:18 PM, Biker19 said:

The RCI app has a free built in text option (no internet package needed) - all in the party above 13 can use it.

Thanks. How is the paid wifi? Is it worth buying or slow and glitchy?

1 minute ago, smheese said:

How is the paid wifi? Is it worth buying or slow and glitchy?

The value you see at say $17/day is personal. For most people, most of the time in most locations, the wifi is almost as good as at home. However, sat based internet, even Starlink, is less reliable then home internet.

• 4 weeks later...

Do they no longer sell blocks of minutes onboard? We are only Gold so only get 10% off Internet on board - would the only onboard option be 10% off a $24.99 single day or full cruise package?

We will be on Jewel and Planner shows we can get 30% off the $24.99 rate ($17 a day). I assume this is always "on sale" or do they sometimes have different "sales"?

29 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

Do they no longer sell blocks of minutes onboard? We are only Gold so only get 10% off Internet on board - would the only onboard option be 10% off a $24.99 single day or full cruise package?

We will be on Jewel and Planner shows we can get 30% off the $24.99 rate ($17 a day). I assume this is always "on sale" or do they sometimes have different "sales"?

Once onboard the choice is typically a 24 hour pass or a full voyage plan.  The 24 hour clock starts when you purchase it and ends 24 hours later.  There is no login in and out to save minutes that can be used later.  By purchasing a 24 hour pass at noon you get to use it for the rest of that day and until noon the next day so you kind of have access for two days, or partial coverage of two days. 

Some ships will offer a shorter pass towards the end of the cruise that can be used to check in for flight.  These offerings are inconsistent and may not appear on your cruise. 

For most CAS levels you are better to purchase a Voom plan for the full cruise if you desire to be connected on different days throughout the cruise.  Some guests may get connectivity from international cellular coverage while in port.  For some this is enough to check in with family or a business from time to time.  Other's enjoy more frequent connectivity and that generally means paying for Voom ahead of time.  It all depends what you are looking for.  Each of us is different with different needs. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

would the only onboard option be 10% off a $24.99 single day or full cruise package?

The on-board price for the 24-hour package is higher than the per day price when buying a package for the whole cruise - usually at least $28/day. Yes, the planner price varies with the various "sales".

• Like 1

if you or your kids have their phones on, be sure you turn off cellular service on the phone AND put them in airplane mode.   Data and phone costs from cell phone providers are $$/min while on the ship.   Definitely get the wi-fi packages if you can.