Docking in Rotterdam - is a shorex to Bruges realistic?

YoPhilly

We are expected to dock in Rotterdam from 11AM-8PM.  I'd love to visit Bruges but see that it's about 110 miles from Rotterdam.  Probably not the best idea to risk an evening traffic jam getting back to the ship.  As an alternate to the charming Bruges, what town would you recommend from Rotterdam?  Thanks for any and all suggestions.

My husband is from that area so I'm picking his brain. From the ship dock you can take the little ferry at the end of the pier (from HAL) to cross the river. Ask someone which "tram" will take you to

"Central Station". From there you can take a train to any town you want to see in Holland. Public transportation is very organized and punctual all over Holland, as opposed to driving a car, where you'd be subject to traffic etc. Also virtually everyone in Holland speaks fluent English.

Bruges is probably too far even if you take the "fast"  (Snell) train (not the local). Closer by is Dordtrecht to the southeast (where my husband is from and is the oldest city in Holland) or the Hague which is to the north, maybe stopping at Delft (where Delft Blue is made) along the way. If Amsterdam is not on your cruise itinerary, he recommends seeing that city above all the others, but not by car. 

Also there is a lot to see in Rotterdam itself. Take the train to the Coolsingel, which is the center of town. From there you can walk to see the sights. You can take a sightseeing city tour bus or a river /canal tour. 

I took the train from Amsterdam to Delft last September for a day trip.  I thought it was a very nice place to spend the day.  There is a bit of a canal city feel to it.  The 2 cathedrals are great to check out (both included in a single ticket). You'd have time to do that for sure.  It would be a short train ride from Rotterdam.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nansi said:

My husband is from that area so I'm picking his brain. From the ship dock you can take the little ferry at the end of the pier (from HAL) to cross the river. Ask someone which "tram" will take you to

"Central Station". From there you can take a train to any town you want to see in Holland. Public transportation is very organized and punctual all over Holland, as opposed to driving a car, where you'd be subject to traffic etc. Also virtually everyone in Holland speaks fluent English.

Bruges is probably too far even if you take the "fast"  (Snell) train (not the local). Closer by is Dordtrecht to the southeast (where my husband is from and is the oldest city in Holland) or the Hague which is to the north, maybe stopping at Delft (where Delft Blue is made) along the way. If Amsterdam is not on your cruise itinerary, he recommends seeing that city above all the others, but not by car. 

Also there is a lot to see in Rotterdam itself. Take the train to the Coolsingel, which is the center of town. From there you can walk to see the sights. You can take a sightseeing city tour bus or a river /canal tour. 

Nansi, thank you (and your husband) for the suggestions.  I visited Amsterdam previously so it isn't in my plans this time.  I've done a lot of traveling over the years, and more-and-more I find that I enjoy visiting small towns much more than the big capital cities.  Of course, this cruise calls at Stockholm, Helsinki, Copenhagen, etc., so I do want to get to some less-busy places.  I'll do some research on your recommendations.  Feel free to add any other comments.

- Nancy

6 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I took the train from Amsterdam to Delft last September for a day trip.  I thought it was a very nice place to spend the day.  There is a bit of a canal city feel to it.  The 2 cathedrals are great to check out (both included in a single ticket). You'd have time to do that for sure.  It would be a short train ride from Rotterdam.

I see Delft is very close to Rotterdam.  I was worried that the town is all about ceramics and not much else, but it sounds like there's more to it.  I'll look into it.  Thanks!

16 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

I see Delft is very close to Rotterdam.  I was worried that the town is all about ceramics and not much else, but it sounds like there's more to it.  I'll look into it.  Thanks!

I had zero interest in blue and white ceramics when I visited.  🙂  I saw it in a few storefronts but that was all.  I’m sure I could have found more of it if I wanted though. 

• Like 1