Carnival Corporation Adding Starlink Internet to Ships

JT1962

3 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I think it pegged me as out of the country. Yep, when traveling within the US, it's generally only an issue with some broadcast stations (national news @6:30 for example won't allow me to play back recordings).

Tom

Same like @groundloop, I use it while I'm the water and other countries. It pops up and tell me to confirm I'm travel and it works with no issue. Now local (at home) channels like news will not show but everything else works. 

On 1/20/2023 at 2:25 PM, BigCountry76 said:

My entire company works remotely and has since the year 2000. We cover global aerospace and defense competitive intelligence. I've worked on cruises, planes, trains and more. Love my company.

Exactly! I've been working remotely since the early 2000s also and have noticed you can always count on those new to the concept to doubt the amount of work being done. If only they knew how many of the large corporations that deliver service to them everyday have huge populations of remote workers and have for years.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2023 at 11:59 PM, ohioNCLcruiser said:

Thank you for this information! I have done three weeks on the Celebration (2 on the transatlantic and one in the Caribbean) and on all 3 the internet was great. I was able to conduct work video meetings without issue.

Hi I was wondering while you were on Celebration were you able to make wifi calls? We need to work from Mardi Gras and making phone calls is important. Thank you! 

On 1/22/2023 at 6:08 PM, dgene84 said:

Same like @groundloop, I use it while I'm the water and other countries. It pops up and tell me to confirm I'm travel and it works with no issue. Now local (at home) channels like news will not show but everything else works. 

They could be obtaining your location from the GPS in your phone. There are apps that can spoof a different location.

8 hours ago, nascartony20fan1 said:

Hi I was wondering while you were on Celebration were you able to make wifi calls? We need to work from Mardi Gras and making phone calls is important. Thank you! 

Carnival blocks cellular based wifi calling. Apps like Skype or FaceTime Audio or Zoom should work, given adequate internet speeds.

On 1/18/2023 at 7:19 PM, Joebucks said:

I hope this brings the price down too. What is it now, $12 a day for social internet? Ugh.

Yeah, after reading reviews, we decided the price just isn't worth the benefit for us, so we cancelled it on our upcoming cruise.  We will be just fine and can spend that money elsewhere.

On 1/18/2023 at 8:47 PM, notscb said:

Hopefully. People were really up in arms about the second increase in less than a year, but if it's for starlink service i'd say the price is still more reasonable than their competition.

We just got off a Royal Caribbean cruise.  The starlink service was great.  Super fast, didn't go down the entire time.  Hopefully, it will be on the Carnival Jubilee when she debuts later this year.  I would willing pay more for starlink.

40 minutes ago, DebJ14 said:

We just got off a Royal Caribbean cruise.  The starlink service was great.  Super fast, didn't go down the entire time.  Hopefully, it will be on the Carnival Jubilee when she debuts later this year.  I would willing pay more for starlink.

Shhhhhhh - it's high enough already !!

Tom

On 1/22/2023 at 6:52 PM, MsOne said:

Exactly! I've been working remotely since the early 2000s also and have noticed you can always count on those new to the concept to doubt the amount of work being done. If only they knew how many of the large corporations that deliver service to them everyday have huge populations of remote workers and have for years.

I worked from home the last 7 years of my career before retiring.  It wasn't until we were socked in by a snowstorm and my boss was forced to work from home that it became a regular thing.  He "saw the light!"