5 Star $30 internet benefit when purchased online before the cruise

iflyrc5

I called the HAL line that covers the purchased of items prior to the cruise.  They told me that if I purchased the internet package online prior to boarding that when on the ship I would get the $30 benefit added to my account.  I am on the Rotterdam now and guest services are saying that Seattle is now saying that since purchasing the internet online it is already at a discount that a 5 Star does not get the $30 benefit.  What have other experienced in this situation?  

Just now, iflyrc5 said:

I called the HAL line that covers the purchased of items prior to the cruise.  They told me that if I purchased the internet package online prior to boarding that when on the ship I would get the $30 benefit added to my account.  I am on the Rotterdam now and guest services are saying that Seattle is now saying that since purchasing the internet online it is already at a discount that a 5 Star does not get the $30 benefit.  What have other experienced in this situation?  

That was the same case for me when I purchased the Premium Internet package online at a discount and was also denied my 5 Star Mariner discount aboard the Zuiderdam last April. 

Also told no $30 benefit because I had received the discount by pre purchasing.  IMO, Hal has taken away a benefit without giving us proper notice.  Fortunately, not a big item, but again, this is another example of making us feel like they are intent on making a thousand cuts.  For some, a small cut can lead customers to other cruise lines because that last small cut can also be considered the last straw.   I’m also currently on the Zuiderdam.

Same thing happened to us after turning 5 star last year.  We were staying in a Neptune suite and had pre-bought internet and assumed the 5 star discount would be applied to our account, as was done in the past for pre-purchased specialty dining and wine packages.  But no, we were told that the discount only applied if you buy the internet on the ship (which actually would land up costing more with the 5 star discount applied than pre-buying it - so the discount is worthless).  I explained to our Neptune concierge that if HAL meant the discount was only to apply on onboard purchases they should explicitly say that in the Mariner's benefits table.  He agreed that it was unclear and someone must have pulled a string and got us $30 off because it appeared on our account before the end of the cruise.  I suspect it was just because we were in a suite that they did it as goodwill.

But, given the outrageous cost of internet and how terrible the service is, it's just unbelievable that HAL has chosen to exclude this benefit from being worth anything. It's just another bait and switch that makes you believe you are getting something that in reality you're not.

Edited by Real NHDOC