Pre Cruise 5 days in Reykjavik

JSR

We spent 5 full days pre cruise in Reykjavik. I use a wheelchair for mobility so decided to post in the disabilites section of CC. I thought there is a lot of general information that others may find useful so here is the link to the report. I have only completed the first two days but am working on the rest. Check it out if you are so inclined. Happy to answer questions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

We did 4 days in Iceland following our Norway cruise and used Nordic Visitor.  Their services were impeccable.  We had a rental car and a "suggestions" book/map that reviewed sights that we could choose to see.  The hotel reservations they had made for us were all in order, no issues at all.  Highly recommend!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I’m not at all familiar with Iceland! Overwhelming!

What port does Oceania use?

There are two options when looking at where cruise ships dock in Reykjavik. Some smaller vessels can dock at Reykjavik cruise port at Miðbakki, in the Old Harbour. However, most larger cruise ships will dock at Reykjavik cruise port at Skarfabakki.

Is this the correct airport? It’s 30 miles from Reykjavik!

Keflavík Airport (Icelandic: Keflavíkurflugvöllur [ˈcʰɛplaˌviːkʏrˌflʏɣˌvœtlʏr̥]) (IATA: KEF, ICAO: BIKF), also known as Reykjavík–Keflavík Airport, is the largest airport in Iceland and the country's main hub for international transportation. The airport is 1.7 nautical miles (3.1 kilometres) west of Keflavík[2] and 50 km (30 mi) southwest of Reykjavík. The airport has three runways, two of which are in use, and the airport area is about 25 km2 (10 sq mi).[citation needed] Most international journeys to or from Iceland pass through this airport.

How are you getting from the airport port to the hotel? It’s over 30miles

Is Oceania booking your flights?

I’m arriving on July 5. I’m hoping for a nonstop flight from Boston

I just booked Skuggi Hotel for July 5-7! Never been there! Hope I’m in the correct hotel!
Does this look right?

ADDRESS
Hverfisgata 103, 101 Reykjavík

EMAIL
skuggi@keahotels.is
PHONE
+354 590 7000

Ask Oceania or your travel agent which cruise port for your date.  I'm sure they will let you know before your cruise where to show up.  Depending on how early you are arriving in Iceland before your cruise, I wouldn't book lodging based on where the port is, I would book lodging based on what I want to see in the city.

International Flights from the US arrive at Keflavik Airport (KEF).  For one or two people, Flybus is the most efficient and economical way to get to the city.  For 3 or more people, a taxi is probably better.  Expect a taxi to cost $130-$150 USD equivalent and yes, they take plastic.

Icelandair has multiple daily flights from BOS to KEF.  We've taken that route 5 times (so far).  It might be cheaper to book yourself than to have the airline do it for you, and it's as easy to book as any other airline.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

Ask Oceania or your travel agent which cruise port for your date.  I'm sure they will let you know before your cruise where to show up.  Depending on how early you are arriving in Iceland before your cruise, I wouldn't book lodging based on where the port is, I would book lodging based on what I want to see in the city.

International Flights from the US arrive at Keflavik Airport (KEF).  For one or two people, Flybus is the most efficient and economical way to get to the city.  For 3 or more people, a taxi is probably better.  Expect a taxi to cost $130-$150 USD equivalent and yes, they take plastic.

Icelandair has multiple daily flights from BOS to KEF.  We've taken that route 5 times (so far).  It might be cheaper to book yourself than to have the airline do it for you, and it's as easy to book as any other airline.

Thank you so much!

I’m asking my TA to cancel the free air with Oceania. He said it will be a $1,000 credit off of the bill. Nothing is free!

I’ve booked Skuggi hotel. Hverfisgata 103, 101 Reykjavik. From reviews and maps it looks ok. 

I’m booking Boston to KEP nonstop night flight. 
I’ve contacted a car service and I think it’s around $150 direct airport to hotel then post cruise back to airport for additional fee. I’ve not officially booked it yet. 
My major  problem is getting from my house to the airport! It’s Juth 4th and I live in a resort area! It could easily be a six to seven hour ordeal! On a good day one hour! My regular car service is $500 each way but I like to leave my car home. The car service will not confirm with me because one driver will be gone all day during his busy season! I’ll never find parking to be able to take the bus. 
Now I’m working on excursions!

Thank you!

Any hotel in the "101" postal code such as yours is well located.

Taxis are lined up at KEF like at all major airports, no need to prebook.  I'm not sure what happens with a car service if your flight is late, will they wait for you?  KEF has really good Duty Free.  You don't want/need to race to the curb to catch your car.  If you are planning on any alcohol in your time in the city, buy it at the airport.  Even Icelanders plans their trips out of the country to coincide with stocking up on booze when they return as the restaurants and few wine shops are VERY expensive.

Where exactly do you live?  We were New Englanders for many decades before we switched coasts a couple years ago.  I'm not sure if you are going June 4 or July 4 (Juth isn't on my calendar 🙂 ), but traffic on the holiday is generally light.

2 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Any hotel in the "101" postal code such as yours is well located.

Taxis are lined up at KEF like at all major airports, no need to prebook.  I'm not sure what happens with a car service if your flight is late, will they wait for you?  KEF has really good Duty Free.  You don't want/need to race to the curb to catch your car.  If you are planning on any alcohol in your time in the city, buy it at the airport.  Even Icelanders plans their trips out of the country to coincide with stocking up on booze when they return as the restaurants and few wine shops are VERY expensive.

Where exactly do you live?  We were New Englanders for many decades before we switched coasts a couple years ago.  I'm not sure if you are going June 4 or July 4 (Juth isn't on my calendar 🙂 ), but traffic on the holiday is generally light.

I live on the lower Cape in Brewster. Traffic around Fourth of July is absolutely horrendous! Hours to go a few miles. With only two small bridges to the mainland make travel very difficult. 

1 minute ago, Wasasalad said:

I live on the lower Cape in Brewster. Traffic around Fourth of July is absolutely horrendous! Hours to go a few miles. With only two small bridges to the mainland make travel very difficult. 

Oh yeah, Cape traffic.  Can you leave the Cape the night before and grab something cheap in Wareham or Carver?

Or even take the tunnel instead of the bridge?  I'm sure you have one of those Hard to get stickers!

1 minute ago, Nitemare said:

Oh yeah, Cape traffic.  Can you leave the Cape the night before and grab something cheap in Wareham or Carver?

Or even take the tunnel instead of the bridge?  I'm sure you have one of those Hard to get stickers!

Yes! The tunnel! Nothing cheap around here!

Edited by Wasasalad
Add

1 minute ago, Wasasalad said:

Yes! The tunnel! Nothing cheap around here!

Rodeway Inn in Middleton is showing under $150.  So is the HI Express there.

Get me a nice table at Chillingsworth on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend and I can get you a room at my buddy's place in Duxbury!

• 2 months later...

Sorry to not respond. I was on a South America cruise. It seems you have your answers. If you have any further questions let me know as I am home now.