Birth Certificate - no raised seal??

larie

My oldest daughter (14) was born in Ca. Her original birth certificate had her name misspelled. They had me send it back to them and they issued me a new one. The one they sent has a seal on it, but it is not raised. I have been using it for years as the originial, even when we went to Canada. Nobody has ever questioned it. My other 2 kids (one of which was also born in CA) have raised seals on their birth certificates. Has anyone gone a cruise with a birth certificate stamp that is not raised and was it a problem???

Had a new one sent for myself a few weeks ago as well as one for my son. they came with letters attached explaining that the state of South carolina no longer uses raised seals but does emply features like watermarks and anti-copying protections to insure the certificates are genuine. I did print copies of them both and the very noticeable "unauthorized copy" comes through on the watermark on the copies. More and more states are going away from raised seals. The certificate is fine as long as state-issued.

Ralph is correct. I constantly see posts from panicky folks because their b/c doesn't have a raised seal. NO PROB. MS and LA began doing away with the raised seal - using watermark paper a few years ago. Many states are now doing this.

As long as the b/c is a state-issued one and not one from the hospital, you're good to go!:)

For 14 years of my daughter's life, I have wondererd about this! When I went to Canada, I was a nut case trying to research it, to no avail. Sounds like this isn't out of the norm. Thanks for your responses. I was starting to get worried again, reading some of the threads, so decided to post.

Archived