St. Mark's Basilica & Gondola Ride VENICE ... Reliable Tour Company to Recommend

ajtraveler66

I hope my information is wrong from NCL, but I was told by an NCL employee that their Venice Walking Tour with Gondola Ride does not include a tour of the INSIDE of St. Mark's Basilica.  Since some of our excursions are unavailable for purchasing at this time (this one in particular), I am hoping that this person is incorrect.  Because that is exactly the excursion that we are looking for (something that includes the inside of St. Mark's ... along with a gondola ride).

That said, if indeed NCL does not provide this excursion for us, are there any RELIABLE & reasonably priced options out there for us?  I know we could probably do all of this on our own, but the convenience of someone buying the tickets for us and setting things up for us is why we are seeking an excursion.  The last thing we want to do in Venice is to stand in a line.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, ajtraveler66 said:

That said, if indeed NCL does not provide this excursion for us, are there any RELIABLE & reasonably priced options out there for us?  I know we could probably do all of this on our own, but the convenience of someone buying the tickets for us and setting things up for us is why we are seeking an excursion.  The last thing we want to do in Venice is to stand in a line.

You could always hire a private guide but both of these things are very easy to do on your own. You can purchase timed tickets online for St Marks which will allow you to skip the normal line to enter-- super easy and you walk into a separate entrance from everyone else when you get there at your scheduled time. 

The gondola ride is a standardized price throughout the city so no sense in paying a commission to a tour company to take care of that for you. Its 80 euro for a standard 30ish minute jaunt which is non-negotiable. You can however ask for a longer ride which is somewhat negotiable. Usually 100-120 euro for an hour. You'll also pay more at night then you will during the daytime. 

Personally one of our favorite stations to pick up a gondola is right next to the Hotel Bauer-- a short walk from St Marks Square. An hour trip from where will bring you into the Grand Canal on the other side with views of the Rialto Bridge and then back. 

Everything is cash. At very least with the gondola ride it's silly to pay a tour guide or tour service a commission to set it up for you-- much better to spend what extra you would end up paying them for a slightly longer gondola ride. 

• Like 2

No idea for sure.  If you're referring to this excursion:

https://www.ncl.com/shore-excursions/VCT_70/A-Walk-through-the-Heart-of-Venice-Gondola-Ride?destination=Mediterranean+Cruises&port=VCT&priceRange=0+2000&sort=searchWeight&sortOrder=asc&perPage=12

it does not have a description on NCL's website.  But from the title, I would suspect that it does not include the insides of any buildings.  If it did, they would probably say that. It sounds like a walk around Venice and a gondola ride to me.  I would expect more excursions to be posted as the cruising season gets closer.  

Edited by MeHeartCruising

The official gondola rates are published on the city's website here:  Tariffe, orari e stazi Servizio Gondola | Comune di Venezia.

A daytime ride (between 9 AM and 7 PM) fare is 80 euro for 30 minutes.

A nighttime ride (between 7 PM - 3 AM) fare is 100 euro for 35 minutes.

Up to five people can be in the gondola for this fare.

• Like 1