Alexandria - Pyramids

taxmantoo

Stopping in Alexandria next summer and plan on taking a HAL ship excursion to Cairo to see the pyramids and lunch on the Nile.  The excursion will be prepaid for.

Should we really get some Egyptian Pounds currency before leaving Canada for incidentals during the day if required, i.e. camel ride, photos, tips, etc or can we get by with credit card and American dollars?  How much local currency would you suggest?

Yes, US dollars (or Euros or GB pounds - even coins) are accepted by stalls and itinerant sellers like street-traders & camel rides. The price is the same number, whether its USD or Euros or GBP, so your best value is USD.

Credit cards in established shops & probably for extras like drinks on the Nile cruise.

Nile cruise isn't scenic - its all within the city, and not the picture-postcard parts. But it's a relaxing break away from the hustle & bustle.

Be aware that sellers are very persistent - it's counter-productive 'cos after one or two encounters it dissuades folk from browsing, but that's the way it is. Haggling is very much the norm., expect to pay 30% to 50% of the first quoted price - if they turn back and allow you to walk away you'll know that's their lowest price. .

The Papyrus Institute - essentially a souvenir shop- is the last stop for most cruise coach tours. Convivial, and good clean toilets. It's where folk have such free time as their coach's time-keeping has allowed before departing in convoy for the return to Alex or Port Sokhna. 

My info about 6 years old, but I doubt things have changed much.

JB 🙂

• Thanks 2