Transatlantic - accessible suites

My husband (he is in a manual wheelchair) and I had our honeymoon 10 years ago on the Silhouette.  We had a Sky Suite.  It was very nice for the 7 days we were on the ship.  We want to do a Transatlantic in 2024 (and then stay awhile in Spain (and neighborhood)  and then hitch a ride on a repositioning cruise to come back.  In searching on line, it does not appear that any of the larger suites are accessible on any of the  mainstream cruise ships.   Given that we will be at sea for twice as long as our Caribbean Cruise (twice) a larger suite would be something I'd like to look into.  Have any of you any experience with accessibility of the suites in the upper tier suites?

Holland America has at least one accessible Neptune suite, 14 day transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona on the Oosterdam (April 5-19, 2024).   Accessible stateroom 6164 was available when I did a dummy booking.   You need to check the "wheelchair accessible room" box (click on "edit guests" for the accessible choice).  

We were in an accessible Neptune suite on the Oosterdam during a full transit of the Panama Canel and the room was extra large and very nice.   

Here is a list of the Neptune suite benefits on Holland:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/suites-staterooms.html

We have sailed on the following with wheelchair accessible suites, I am a paraplegic and use a manual chair:

Royal Caribbean in an accessible loft suite. We loved it, 2 stories, and internal wheelchair lift and two full bathrooms both accessible. 

Celebrity sky suite on many of their ships, the edge class with the retreat is nice

Silversea Moon all cabins are suites. We were in the lowest class without a balcony and it was great because it was so well laid out and had the most accessible bathroom of any accessible cabin I have ever had.  They also have a silver suite which is much larger and has a balcony. 

Cunard Queen Mary 2 -Queen's Grille Suite. Very large with balcony and Queen's Grille dinning and lounge. This was for a transatlantic. The cabin was very spacious. We were surprised how little time we spent in it despite being on a 9 day crossing from Hamburg. The ship is designed for crossings. 

• 2 months later...

Late to the thread, but we did the fall 2022 TA on Silhouette in an accessible Sky Suite and it was amazing, The suite product on Celebrity is a whole step up from what you experienced 10 years ago. Here are pictures: https://sunnyshots.smugmug.com/Sunnyshots/Silhouette-Accessible-Sky-Suite-2134/

Although the "upper suites" on Celebrity are not accessible, I promise we felt very pampered and had plenty of room in our entry level suite (the Accessible Sky Suite is the same size as the Celebrity Suite). The Retreat Lounge, the Luminae Dining Room, the Retreat deck, and especially the Retreat staff made our vacation amazing. I couldn't recommend it more highly.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

For Celebrity accessible staterooms, the shower "chairs" are pull-down from the wall.  However, on our cruise in a Sky Suite on the Equinox last month, our room steward suggested we try another shower chair; one that we could move around in the shower.   So he brought us another shower chair and we then had two of them in the shower.   My husband liked the one the room steward brought better than the pull-down one.    If your stateroom is not accessible (which already have pull-down shower chairs), just ask your room steward for one; there is no charge.   

See photo of our shower chairs from last month.  

Shower Chair 2.jpg

Yes, on the Princess ships they have a pull down one too (bigger than the Celebrity one), but if it’s just my husband and I, I usually bring one from home as I need one that is adjustable in height so I can help him stand up.  We used to have one like the picture above (no back or side arms) at home, but he’s decided he doesn’t like that one as well as the one we have. so, I just take the one from home that I can easily take apart and put in a suitcase.  I put his medical supplies in that suitcase and then don’t have to pay for it as it is medical equipment.

• Like 1