Transfer to Heathrow

ZULMEG

That coach is due into Heathrow Central at 11am, so it should be fine barring any massive hold-ups on the M3 or M25 motorways.

From the bus station at Heathrow it’s about a 5-10 minute walk to T2 via an underground walkway.

Edited by gumshoe958

11 hours ago, Senga said:

When checking, it says to allow 4 hours for check in at LHR.

Most airlines close check in and bag drop an hour before departure. For international flights they recommend 2-3 hours. The nightmare queues at security that were widely reported last year are long gone.

National Express, perhaps understandably, are playing it safe and recommending 4 hours in case of traffic delays.

But for a 2pm flight I wouldn’t think twice about booking a coach that’s due to arrive at 11am. You’ve still got at least 90 minutes of wiggle room. YMMV though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, I may be cutting it close, but we are docking at 6:00, flying out of LHR @12:50. I’m assuming it’s T5, since it’s an international on BA. Am I okay? Am I okay with th Princess transfer, or should we book a private car? 

You’ll want to be at Heathrow by 10 or 10.30 and it’s about a 90 minute drive in good traffic, longer if it’s busy.

I’d be minded to use a private transfer as you never quite know how long the cruise line buses will take to load or when they’ll leave.

As long as you’re off the ship by 8 you should be fine.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 9:01 PM, Senga said:

When checking, it says to allow 4 hours for check in at LHR.

Airports tend to be well over-cautious, and Nat Express follow suit. Perhaps they - and their sensible passengers -  both allow for delays en-route to the airport, or the airports are trying to provide custom for the shops, cafes & restaurants which pay high rents at the airport, or they are covering their own backsides in the event of an unlikely lengthy delay.

On the other hand, altho airlines check-ins mainly close an hour before international flights that's a significant risk - many's the time  I've witnessed  staff patrolled long lines at check-in asking for passengers on Flight XXX. to come forward (BA and many other airlines operate with all check-ins for all flights using a single line and multiple desks).

2 to 2.5 hrs should be fine, 90 minutes would be pushing it.

Excluding unusual delays ZULMEG will be at T2 or T3 three hours ahead of their flight time - that's wiggle-room of an hour or more. 

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, good42n said:

So, I may be cutting it close, but we are docking at 6:00, flying out of LHR @12:50. I’m assuming it’s T5, since it’s an international on BA. Am I okay? Am I okay with th Princess transfer, or should we book a private car? 

The first Princess coaches leave the cruise terminal at about 8am, journey time in a coach about 2 hours on a weekday assuming no more delays than usual.

Coaches are each assigned to a single airport terminal - no scenic tour of the airport terminals, and unlike Nat Express buses they go to the terminal, not to central bus station, for Ts 2 & 3.

Cruise lines advise (but check whether that's up-to-date) their passengers not to rely on their transfers for flights before 12.30 or 1.00pm. That might be over-cautious, certainly over-cautious on a saturday or sunday

In a private car the journey time will be about 15 - 20 minutes quicker, more importantly with unassisted disembarkation (haul your own bags from your cabin) you can be off the ship at about 7am.

A private transfer will cost somewhere between £120 and £140 for the car, Princess transfers I think are still around $60 per person.

It's difficult to advise whether to choose coach or car

JB 🙂

• Like 1