muster drill

dazadelaide

22 hours ago, dazadelaide said:

hi all, we are on the explorer in march. 

I am wondering if p & o are doing e-muster or do they still do the station muster on the deck.

thanks in advance

Daz

Need to get name marked off at an inside location. In The Boss's case at a bar which she thinks was  their muster station but I would expect the actual station to be at a lifeboat. No  lecture about procedure and she is not sure if she was supposed to watch a video on the cabin tv (they didn't turn the tv on once for the whole cruise).

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2023 at 11:25 AM, grtdrvall said:

you watch a video on the cabin TV and then you go to a location and get your name ticked off.

Both P&O and Holland America are doing the drill this way now.  I guess they want to avoid packing crowds into one area like they used to (and having people handle the life jackets).

• 2 months later...

I think the E muster is a great idea. Saves wandering around clutching a life jacket and being jammed in a room with who knows how many people some of whom persist in talking whilst the crew are trying to deliver the safety message. The muster drill on Symphony of the Seas pre covid was held in the gym. I may as well not have bothered as I couldn't hear or see a thing due to very tall people in front of me talking incessantly.

The only draw back with the E muster, as far as I can see, is that it is a bit of an honesty system as the crew don't have proof you have watched the video or have just turned up to get your name marked off. Anyone doing the latter is very short sighted. I guess emergency situations are fairly rare, but I'd rather be prepared in the unlikely event, so to speak.

• 4 weeks later...

Princess also does emuster, watch video in room, go to muster station, sign on back of stateroom door tells you where to go, get marked off,. Done.

P&O scan card, Princess you scan your medallion.  All very civilised from the crowded mess years ago.

Call me contrarian, but I actually liked the old muster - as done by P&O (definitely not Royal Caribbean style).  I actually liked that passengers were forced to demonstrate the ability to locate the life jackets in their cabins, and the ability to wear them correctly.

I feel that losing the "you must wear the lifejacket correctly before leaving the muster" element is a safety compromise.

Having said that, the eMuster is definitely an improvement on Royal Caribbean's muster routine, which seems designed to maximise casualties in the event of a real emergency.