UBER or DRIVE to San Pedro Port

CartoonConsultant

This is my first cruise. I live in Los Angeles and I can't decide whether to UBER or drive to the port in San Pedro. Money is not an issue. I'm concerned that for the return, if I UBER, that it will be so crowded with other people trying to find an UBER that it will take forever to get home. Is this concern correct? Any advice on whether to Uber or drive?

6 hours ago, CartoonConsultant said:

This is my first cruise. I live in Los Angeles and I can't decide whether to UBER or drive to the port in San Pedro. Money is not an issue. I'm concerned that for the return, if I UBER, that it will be so crowded with other people trying to find an UBER that it will take forever to get home. Is this concern correct? Any advice on whether to Uber or drive?

I, literally, just got home from the January 20-27 sailing of the Navigator of the Seas.

Getting there by Lyft (I always check both) was easy. Calabasas to the pier in San Pedro, including a nice tip, cost me $65.  The return was just a little more complicated--a LARGE crowd out in front of the terminal at about 9:15--when we made it through immigration after picking up our luggage.  The center island, where Uber picks up, was jammed.  Even so, we had our Uber in about 14-15 minutes--and the fare was a little higher--with tip, we paid about $89 and change.  But, considering the demand--and that we were venturing ut onto the LA freeeways during "late rush hour"--we don't think that was that bad for the 50+ mile trip. 

So, total cost, both ways, was around $155.  Parking at the pier alone would have cost us $140. Five gallons of gas (not even considering wear and tear on the car and adding mileage to the car) at about $4.50 per gallon would have been at least another $20...And we saved having to leave our car exposed at the pier parking lot for a week.  Plus, we got dropped off and picked up right at the terminal.

This has become a no-brainer for us.  I was frightened a bit at first by the large number of people waiting for an Uber...but it really did not affect us much.

Thanks so much for the info. Very helpful. I have a tip regarding the big crowd where Uber picks up. I actually called the terminal and spoke to a lady who said... walk a little bit away from the crowd to the place where there aren't as many people. Tell your Uber driver to drive around the line of cars and pick you up there where you walked away from the crowd. Honestly I'm a little confused, but if you call the terminal, they can tell you. Frankly, 15 min isn't bad at all. I'm going to Uber from Pasadena. 

We also just got off the Jan 20-27 Navigator cruise. We parked in the first row right by the entrance gate from the lot. We were off the ship doing self assist at 7:45am and home to Simi Valley around 9:00am....$140 dollars well spent. This is exactly what we have done many times when sailing from San Pedro and it continues to work easily everytime.

• Like 1