Lessons Being Learned

ahill13

5 hours ago, davekathy said:

We no longer cruise with others (since 2010). No mare drama. 

I totally agree with your premise.  There are definite advantages to traveling with others/groups.  AND there are disadvantages as well.   I said earlier that we always travel with my daughter, her family, my old Army buddy, and his wife.  Well, not totally true.  We do, in between those cruises (the Star Class cruises) travel just the two of us.  It is nice to be just us, not having to wait on others, or hurry because others are waiting on us, get up when we don't want to get up, and avoid the drama.  Decide where EVERYONE wants to eat and so on.  

On the other hand, while cruising with others, it is nice to carry on conversations with others, socialize, and just hangout with folks we don't generally get to socialize with or hang out with. 

9 hours ago, ahill13 said:

Good choice 🤠 

I also appreciate not having to make group decisions about what to do, when to eat, etc.

Hence, I love solid travel. I do it all over the world. No time for foolishness when I want to and am traveling. 

Edited by blueslily
  • Like 2

So sorry this is happening. I hope you can still enjoy it. I hate traveling with groups. We have 2 other couples traveling with us next month and they are all first time cruisers. They basically changed everything we suggested including the ship, cruise length and excursions. I'm going to make the best of it. But, no more group cruises for us.

On 1/27/2023 at 4:11 PM, karena1 said:

I will never travel without a passport or insurance.  We are 79 and 66. just not worth it.  We cruise about 12 times a year, so having passports and insurance it a major thing to us.

Agree. We are 74 and 69. Had to use insurance one time on Harmony. Seeking medical advice/treatment on the ship, is not cheap.

Passports are a must.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lisi15 said:

So sorry this is happening. I hope you can still enjoy it. I hate traveling with groups. We have 2 other couples traveling with us next month and they are all first time cruisers. They basically changed everything we suggested including the ship, cruise length and excursions. I'm going to make the best of it. But, no more group cruises for us.

Why did you allow this to happen?

• Like 3

On 1/27/2023 at 2:30 PM, ahill13 said:

I need to vent to people who may understand. And hopefully help someone at the same time.

We have 3 rooms booked for a cruise schedule in 2 weeks. 

Room 1: unexpectedly has been in the hospital for almost 3 weeks and does not have travel insurance

Room 2: waiting on their passport renewal and the passport office lost her original and has her birth certificate, has been caring for the people in Room 1, and does not have travel insurance

Room 3: feeling guilty about going on a celebration trip without the rest of our group....but at the same time, I'm going on this vacation.

Get trip insurance. Renew your passport on time. That is all. 

#1 should cancel and work with their credit card company to see if they have any travel coverage there. 

#2 needs decide if they are cruising. If they are not cruising, cancel. If they are not related to #1, they are probably out of luck. If they are related, check with their credit card company to see if they have any coverage. 

#2 decides to go on the cruise, or if there is a tiny chance, they should have been working on a duplicate birth certificate long ago. Pay whatever expedite fees are needed. Go in person and wait for it to be pulled. Just get it done. 

You, have a great cruise!

• Like 2

OP, I am soo sorry you are experiencing this crazy. But such is life. If I understand this correctly, some are not coming, others are iffy at best.  My cold-hearted butt says you are only responsible for yourself.  Yes! you wanted the whole group to come.  Their decision has consequences for them. This does not affect your sailing dollars or experience.  It's a hard lesson to learn.. not paying 120 bucks for insurance or getting documents.. but are you going to let this spoil your vacation?  They made choices that are not your responsibility to carry. Drop that luggage and cruise on.