Cook Strait ferry loses propulsion, declares Mayday

Bowm54

The Cook Strait freight/passenger ferry Kaitaki is now at the centre of recovery efforts around 1 kilometre offshore the Wellington coast.

The engines reportedly failed around 3pm nz time. Both anchors were dropped.

Tugs and rescue vessels are now at the site.

All onboard are safe and at the emergency stations.

The engines have just been restarted and they are proceeding to Wellington.89CC1A15-52DB-4960-9DE6-9A79AFC81FFA.thumb.png.c34dd259164c908ea61137e8b8453d06.png

4 minutes ago, grozzy1 said:

They were very fortunate. I don't remember enough details to Google it, but one of the museum's in Wellington has a display on several maritime tragedies through the years

You're probably thinking of the 'Wahine' disaster in April 1968 in which 53 people lost their lives.

Thats exactly why they are at the moment entering Wellington harbour accompanied by 2 tugs with other vessels standing by.

The Wahine disaster took place in full view of people ashore and nobody was able to help.

2 hours ago, Bowm54 said:

Thats exactly why they are at the moment entering Wellington harbour accompanied by 2 tugs with other vessels standing by.

The Wahine disaster took place in full view of people ashore and nobody was able to help.

The Wahine disaster took place in the middle of a very serious storm. It should never have left the wharf. 

I recall having to jump the fence to get into my home as a power line had come down across our wrought iron entrance gate. My mother was terrified!