Ferry to Jost Van Dyke (non-ship excursion)

weliketocruise2017

Looking for cruisers who have arrived into Tortola at 6 am and departed at 2 pm!!  (Norwegian Encore cruisers, I'm looking at you!!)

The ship doesn't show an excursion, perhaps it's sold out. I think this is feasible, but looking for people who have done this! What do you say?  Totally feasible, a noon ferry from Jost Van Dyke will get us back on the ship in plenty of time to sail away at 2 pm?   {How strict is the 'be back one hour before' rule? If we get there at 1:10, would that be a problem?}   Thanks in advance!!

Ferry runs at 8 am from West End to Jost Van Dyke.  Get in taxi at cruise pier around 7 am, to get to West End ferry, buy tickets, get situated

·       Taxi to West End (ferry) (25-30 minute taxi drive)

·       West End (ferry) to Jost Van Dyke (Great Harbour) (ferry) (25 minute ferry ride)

·       Great Harbour (ferry) to Soggy Bottom Bar / White Bay (5 minute taxi drive)

·       TOTAL TRAVEL TIME: 60 MINUTES

·       Taxi to Great Harbour (ferry) (5 minute taxi drive)

·       Great Harbour (ferry) to West End (ferry) (25 minute ferry ride)

·       Taxi to Road Town Cruise Pier (25-30 minute taxi drive)

·       TOTAL TRAVEL TIME: 60 MINUTES

Ferry runs at 12 pm from Jost Van Dyke / Great Harbour

Get in taxi at Soggy Bottom Bar / White Bay around 11:35 am, to get to Jost Van Dyke ferry for a 12 pm departure.

o   7-7:30 taxi ride to ferry

o   8-8:25 ferry ride

o   8:30-8:35 taxi ride to beach

SPEND THREE HOURS AT THE BEACH AND OR SOGGY BOTTOM BAR (don't judge! we didn't pick these times 😉

o   11:35-11:40 taxi ride to ferry

o   12-12:25 ferry ride

o   12:30-1 pm taxi ride

o   BACK ON SHIP

Yes that is the itinerary and will give you ~2.5 hrs in White Bay, if no delays…
My only question is …is it worth the travel time and cost? Tortola has some gorgeous beaches, and you could rent a Jeep and head to Smuggler’s Cove where you can have drinks and lunch without the travel time…Just a thought…

But the one  good thing about going to White Bay in the morning is the afternoon crowd isn’t there yet! Unfortunately we just lost Seddy (Seddy’s One Love), and we’re still in shock…If you see his Dad (Foxy) in Great Harbor you could pay your respects…

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like 3.5 hours beach time.  Cutting it close getting back but it looks well planned.  

did you do this? 

another option is to try to find a few others on your ship and do a small charter.   We did this. Found some others on the meet and mingle board. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about this too but will probably opt for a taxi to Cane Garden Bay in Tortola instead.  I'm too anxious with possible taxi delays, traffic (it happens) etc.  That said, I've been to Jost 3x's already so, while I hate to miss trip # 4, I like the less stressful route.

39 minutes ago, brianz09 said:

I've been thinking about this too but will probably opt for a taxi to Cane Garden Bay in Tortola instead.  I'm too anxious with possible taxi delays, traffic (it happens) etc.  That said, I've been to Jost 3x's already so, while I hate to miss trip # 4, I like the less stressful route.

CGB is a nice day…Or if you want to be more adventurous find a driver who will drop you at Smuggler’s Cove and arrange to return for you. Gorgeous beach with no other visitors except the more adventurous, and land vacationers getting away from CGB while the ships are in port. Nigel should be serving food and drink there (the driver can confirm). If no vendors at SC get dropped at Long Bay (West End), a picture postcard beach. You would pass LB on the way to SC…

Both are a nice break or something different from White Bay…

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 1:39 PM, volk904 said:

Looks like 3.5 hours beach time.  Cutting it close getting back but it looks well planned.  

That’s a bit optimistic with 2 taxis and a ferry each way…we’ve waited in WB for 30 minutes for a taxi before so you need to allow for delays…