Other options beside X

odysee

20 hours ago, 67Miner said:

After 20 years with Celebrity, I, too have moved on to other cruise lines.  I can recommend Seabourn.  Their ships are much smaller (largest about 750 passengers) and all staterooms are suites (somewhat larger than Celebrity SkySuite).  There are NO up charges.  Gratuities and alcohol always included.  Entertainment is a step up -- cabaret style.  Additionally there are a couple of piano bars and venues with dance bands.  Prices are comparable to a Celebrity SySuite.  I see a beautiful 14-day itinerary of the fjords this summer from Copenhagen.  I have sailed the Greek islands and Central America on Seabourn Ovation and was very pleased.  Oh, and the cruise directors are amazing entertainers in their own right.

THE SUITE LIFE EVENT 

14-Day North Cape & Majestic Fjords

SHIP: Seabourn Ovation
DEPARTS: 
Copenhagen, Denmark
ARRIVES: 
Copenhagen, Denmark
JUN 11, 2023

JUN 25, 2023
MORE DATES & FARES- 14-DAY NORTH CAPE & MAJESTIC FJORDS

I've been looking at both Seabourn and Oceania for a Norwegian Fjords cruise.  Both have nice itineraries.  It's not at all clear which cruise line I should book...  still studying. 

If you prefer ships of a size comparable to X I would recommend

you look at HAL and, in particular, at their new Pinnacle Class ships.

The ships are beautiful and their approach to entertainment,

which we like a lot, is very different to Celebrity’s offerings.

If you consider smaller vessels we have been on Azamara five

times and Viking twice. Both are worth considering. They are very

different. Azamara’s are older whilst Viking’s are new and are all

balcony and adult only. As you might expect service standards

and quality of food are high.

• Like 1

I cannot speak to Norway--cruising them the 1st time on MSC in May. (cruising MSC for 1st time in 2 weeks).

You MIGHT consider Yacht Club on MSC. I understand it is the best suite service at sea (well, "ship within a ship" on mainstream lines) I just read a review by @GenerationX comparing Retreat on Celebrity to MSC Yacht Club (4 days on each, B2B). Yacht Club blew her away--at about half the price of Retreat on Celebrity

But ALL lines have seen a downgrade since COVID, especially now that ships are sailing very full (those 6 mos. or so of post COVID sailing were glorious...)

Supply chain issues

Labor supply issues

Cost saving measures

I still maintain that Celebrity is the best mainstream line for service & food.

If you just look at Eclass, their ships & entertainment make them top of it all. 

Now we find mainstream lines more alike than different, and find the differences in ships (and crew...) to be the bigger key to whether we like one cruise better than another.

NCL is concerning me. 

We didn't sail them until 2018. Loved the entertainment & Waterfront on Breakaway class but service & food were OK. Neither of those has improved. I had a few WONDERFUL bartenders on 2 weeks on Getaway in August--but I sailed solo for 2 weeks. But I had several issues with guest services that were never resolved (I try to cancel Vibe on Tuesday for the FOLLOWING week...they were unable to do it. Said I had to to it the way I booked it. I booked it on the phone...so THAT'S not happening...)
Our Encore cruise last month service was dismal--and it was clearly because they were understaffed. 

We have 3 cruises with them this year...if they are cutting entertainment (& staff--I am suspecting this is cost cutting rather than labor supply...we shall see), that may be it for us with NCL. Might even opt out of that last cruise.

It does sound like you might be ready to move up to luxury lines if your budget allows.

Edited by KKB