Stateroom selection options at booking

I'm sure this has been dealt with somewhere else on the boards at some time, but I couldn't locate the answer...

I noticed that when going to book a sailing online, MSC just shows those cabins which correspond with your passenger count as being available; for example if like twenty cabins in a class are available, it will just show you the five that would hold two ppl max, for instance, if you were booking 2 passengers. 

If I've got three ppl, and want to reserve a cabin that could accommodate 4 ppl due to location on the ship, is that possible within category or will MSC simply not allow it? 

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! :classic_biggrin:

Thanks! :)

Are TA's able to access those cabins as well or would this be a strictly via MSC type thing? Also, with the 5% + 5% thing, is that difficult to have applied or pretty easy? I just applied for a status match yesterday and I'm hoping to have that come through quickly and to get this thing booked

It may be that the rooms that only held 2 ppl were already booked and they shifted to the higher capacity staterooms? Because for sure I can tell you that on the cruise I am looking at, including on MSC's own website, when I enter 2ppl for the cruise it only shows the cabins that hold 2 ppl, if I enter 4ppl then suddenly those cabins that hold 4ppl show up as available. It's not a big deal to me so long as some rep somewhere has access to the full slate of cabins beyond what the online is trying to funnel me into

28 minutes ago, Avatar345 said:

It may be that the rooms that only held 2 ppl were already booked and they shifted to the higher capacity staterooms? Because for sure I can tell you that on the cruise I am looking at, including on MSC's own website, when I enter 2ppl for the cruise it only shows the cabins that hold 2 ppl, if I enter 4ppl then suddenly those cabins that hold 4ppl show up as available. It's not a big deal to me so long as some rep somewhere has access to the full slate of cabins beyond what the online is trying to funnel me into

What ship and sailing?  I always book Fantastica aft facing balconies. 

Here's an example using the Seaside - this is totally arbitrary

On the first pic, I've set the search terms to "2 adults" and you can see the resulting availability on Deck 13 - four available cabins in cat BR3... 

I change it to 2 adults and one child, and I get one cabin - 13045, same category

I change it to 2 adults and 2 children, and I get four cabins again, totally different from the preceding options

And so the question centers around, if I'm 2 ppl but I want to be in 13181 for example, is that (easily) doable?

2ppl.thumb.jpg.6bf91ebc3efd15c21b1227216c24cbfe.jpg3ppl.thumb.jpg.a5e90cb6769ad00d178fb7211b008b82.jpg4ppl.thumb.jpg.987d6c9179cf2df76cd4942e8f6cb418.jpg

40 minutes ago, Avatar345 said:

Here's an example using the Seaside - this is totally arbitrary

On the first pic, I've set the search terms to "2 adults" and you can see the resulting availability on Deck 13 - four available cabins in cat BR3... 

I change it to 2 adults and one child, and I get one cabin - 13045, same category

I change it to 2 adults and 2 children, and I get four cabins again, totally different from the preceding options

And so the question centers around, if I'm 2 ppl but I want to be in 13181 for example, is that (easily) doable?

2ppl.thumb.jpg.6bf91ebc3efd15c21b1227216c24cbfe.jpg3ppl.thumb.jpg.a5e90cb6769ad00d178fb7211b008b82.jpg4ppl.thumb.jpg.987d6c9179cf2df76cd4942e8f6cb418.jpg

That looks nothing like what I see when booking on the MSCUSA site. 

Are you using a non US MSC site ?

I was able to book an aft Aurea Suite on Seashore for November that holds four and it is just the two of us.

I think I read in another post that MSC holds back cabins depending on the market? P

Perhaps that's what is happening here?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, styles27 said:

That looks nothing like what I see when booking on the MSCUSA site. 

Are you using a non US MSC site ?

Here's from the MSC site - no difference in terms of availability:

You'll note that based on the number of people on the itinerary, again everyone in BR3, that the cabin availability changes. Instead of a world where 2ppl sailing in the category have access to nine cabins, it will only show those with the minimum amount of required bedding to accommodate the party. 

I understand why they would do that, so that's not the issue... it maximizes potential possible yield. My question is more simply, are we able to go around that and book a higher 'capacity' cabin if that's our preference?

msc2.thumb.jpg.feb914635f6388d6ef5ae76cabb70f92.jpgmsc3.thumb.jpg.0a06c96effffc185545ceea261446d69.jpgmsc4.thumb.jpg.b51b5541c1236e6fff7fb0ef2aed5ffd.jpg

Edited by Avatar345

23 minutes ago, Fla Mike said:

I was able to book an aft Aurea Suite on Seashore for November that holds four and it is just the two of us.

I think I read in another post that MSC holds back cabins depending on the market? P

Perhaps that's what is happening here?

No doubt, but it's more... for that Aurea Suite, were there any staterooms available anyway that only accommodated 2ppl? It's not that they won't book you into a higher capacity stateroom, it's that I suspect they won't present it as an option until it's the *only* option

6 minutes ago, Avatar345 said:

You'll note that based on the number of people on the itinerary, again everyone in BR3, that the cabin availability changes. Instead of a world where 2ppl sailing in the category have access to nine cabins, it will only show those with the minimum amount of required bedding to accommodate the party. 

I understand why they would do that, so that's not the issue... it maximizes potential possible yield. My question is more simply, are we able to go around that and book a higher 'capacity' cabin?

msc2.thumb.jpg.feb914635f6388d6ef5ae76cabb70f92.jpgmsc3.thumb.jpg.0a06c96effffc185545ceea261446d69.jpgmsc4.thumb.jpg.b51b5541c1236e6fff7fb0ef2aed5ffd.jpg

Why do you want a higher “capacity” stateroom for 2 adults ?

The total size of the staterooms in this category is the same, you don’t get a larger stateroom if you book for 2 adults and 2 children. The bunkbed takes only space away.

What is the goal you want to achieve ? 🤷🏻‍♂️

27 minutes ago, Avatar345 said:

I understand why they would do that, so that's not the issue... it maximizes potential possible yield. My question is more simply, are we able to go around that and book a higher 'capacity' cabin if that's our preference?

I’ve never had this happen when I book. I’m not sure why you’re only able to see a limited number of rooms. That’s odd. 

I can see a wide variety of rooms when I try to do a mock booking. 

I’ve never had to call and ask for the aft balcony even though they can accommodate 4 people (because they have a sleeper sofa) I’ve had good luck I guess.
They are a higher category than a basic balcony though. 

Could that impact your search results?  Do a mock booking but choose the higher category room not the lowest that is included in the price. Slide to the right and choose the higher category.  

30 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

Why do you want a higher “capacity” stateroom for 2 adults ?

The total size of the staterooms in this category is the same, you don’t get a larger stateroom if you book for 2 adults and 2 children. The bunkbed takes only space away.

What is the goal you want to achieve ? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yup, since you asked I'll answer...

Like I said, this is just an arbitrary booking - it doesn't reflect anything I actually am trying to do, but I'll tell you why it matters to me 

I'm looking to book a Yacht Club Grand Deluxe suite on a certain sailing and I want one of the larger/wider staterooms in that category. They *are* available on the sailing I want, but only if I have three or four people in my party. And now you see my dilemma 

That's the goal I want to achieve

10 minutes ago, styles27 said:

I’ve never had this happen when I book. I’m not sure why you’re only able to see a limited number of rooms. That’s odd. 

I can see a wide variety of rooms when I try to do a mock booking. 

I’ve never had to call and ask for the aft balcony even though they can accommodate 4 people (because they have a sleeper sofa) I’ve had good luck I guess.
They are a higher category than a basic balcony though. 

Could that impact your search results?  Do a mock booking but choose the higher category room not the lowest that is included in the price. Slide to the right and choose the higher category.  

I say this - try to do a mock booking of the Seaside for Nov 19th in a BR3 - the example given above - and see if you get different results than me :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Avatar345 said:

I'm looking to book a Yacht Club Grand Deluxe suite on a certain sailing and I want one of the larger/wider staterooms in that category. They *are* available on the sailing I want, but only if I have three or four people in my party.

Which ship and date are you looking at ?

MSC Seaside has no YC Grand Deluxe Suites.

15 minutes ago, Avatar345 said:

I say this - try to do a mock booking of the Seaside for Nov 19th in a BR3 - the example given above - and see if you get different results than me 🙂

I just looked at the 9 day leaving 11/19. The rooms do look limited.
That’s Thanksgiving week which is probably why they are only showing rooms for 2.

I have to say that is the first time I have ever seen that. 

I would stay away from the holiday weeks if you can. 
Just cruised over New Years and it wasn’t fun at all. 

I actually went back and compared it to the Celebrity sailing I was originally considering against this one and... it's the same way. Not sure when the shift occurred but it's definitely happened! I think it just stood out more *knowing* that a class should have more availability than what was displaying...

On Celebrity, the 2ppl cabins were what showed up for 2pax entered, but then for 3pax the three and four person cabins both showed available, so a slight difference there

Spoke to a TA about it and they sated it was for efficiency, which makes sense, it's just a surprise

Just be aware that if you book a cabin that CAN hold 3 or 4 pax and you are only 2, you have a higher chance of being bumped if that cabin is needed later.  MSC does move cabins even if you select them.  The cruiseline's goal is revenue maximization.  Mo people, Mo money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

Just be aware that if you book a cabin that CAN hold 3 or 4 pax and you are only 2, you have a higher chance of being bumped if that cabin is needed later.  MSC does move cabins even if you select them.  The cruiseline's goal is revenue maximization.  Mo people, Mo money.

Great great point! Thanks for that insight! :)