Discovery 2 Cancels Sailing

Discovery 2 has cancelled the 31st January cruise. All passengers on board due to stay on for a second week will be flown home, have their money refunded for the second week, and be given £300 of holiday vouchers.The thruster issue has been rectified, but Marella are now saying a technical issue is preventing them from offering their full food and beverage package.

TUI intend to fly out two extra planes and buy seats with other carriers to get people home, even if it's not the airport they flew from.

I feel so sorry for all on board and for those due to fly out on Tuesday

9 minutes ago, Miller Cruiser said:

Discovery 2 has cancelled the 31st January cruise. All passengers on board due to stay on for a second week will be flown home, have their money refunded for the second week, and be given £300 of holiday vouchers.The thruster issue has been rectified, but Marella are now saying a technical issue is preventing them from offering their full food and beverage package.

TUI intend to fly out two extra planes and buy seats with other carriers to get people home, even if it's not the airport they flew from.

I feel so sorry for all on board and for those due to fly out on Tuesday

This is proving not to be a good ship, we still have outstanding vouchers from our last cruise for major issues. Would recommend that anyone takes a cash settlement, if offered, rather than a voucher. 

My wife and I are in the UK and were due to night stop LGW tomorrow night before flying out Tuesday and joining the Marella Discovery 2 for a 2 week Caribbean cruise from Jamaica. My phone went at 1:20pm today to tell me that the cruise was cancelled. No reason was known at that stage apart from "unable to give full service on board". I asked for email confirmation and as of now (4:40pm) there is still no email or any more information from TUI. Having used P&O for the last 10 years with no issues, we thought we would try TUI for a change of ports. Apparently we will be offered a huge £100 each compensation and some vouchers IF we want our money back. My bill for our dogs in kennels will be nearly £350 alone. Guess which company we will not be booking with again next year. Our holiday cost fyi was in the order of £10,000 for the two of us as we, for once, upgraded to a Suite. Anyone have any more information please? 

Hi Shekobeach

Really feel for you must be so frustrating, we have only ever cruised with Marella and with the exception of D2 have always been happy, well over fifty cruises, our only recommendation is go for cash refunded if offered. Don't think anything anyone says will help with your disappointment at the moment but hopefully all will work out for you. 🤞

We too are on this cruise. I must say that TUI Have the worst customer relations in the world . I’ve not even had any correspondence that our cruise is cancelled. They just put the phone down on you. This is our last booking to be made with TUI . Pity as had some very good times on Marella. Be Warned.
as previous the ship has had problems for weeks.

10 minutes ago, Cliffholl55 said:

We too are on this cruise. I must say that TUI Have the worst customer relations in the world . I’ve not even had any correspondence that our cruise is cancelled. They just put the phone down on you. This is our last booking to be made with TUI . Pity as had some very good times on Marella. Be Warned.
as previous the ship has had problems for weeks.

Sorry for you but it's years not weeks  they've had problems with D2, 2019 they had thruster issues and SCRUBBER problems. Feel for anyone booked on this. 

15 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Sorry for you but it's years not weeks  they've had problems with D2, 2019 they had thruster issues and SCRUBBER problems. Feel for anyone booked on this. 

I do agree thanks.  But it does not get away from how TUI look after there customers. It s 6 pm and still not been informed our cruise is cancelled. I will be looking for a full refund of 8 grand and they can stick there £300 each for future cruise in there thrusters !

22 minutes ago, Cliffholl55 said:

I do agree thanks.  But it does not get away from how TUI look after there customers. It s 6 pm and still not been informed our cruise is cancelled. I will be looking for a full refund of 8 grand and they can stick there £300 each for future cruise in there thrusters !

Don't blame you one bit and I hope all works out for you. 🤞

7 minutes ago, Shekobeach said:

Thank you Rebel Rouser that letter backs up what was said over the phone. I hope you're not currently on board yourself! What a shambolic outfit TUI is, and what a lot of customers they've just lost..... thousands of them.

Hi, No, it's from a site that I belong to and run. Thought it might be of interest rather than rumours starting.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Must be reassuring to the 800 plus cruisers looking forward to a Caribbean holiday and particularly the one's that haven't been informed. Sorry RR know you are only trying to help them but be be honest they should have been informed ASAP. 

Dont shoot the Messenger. its all over social media.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sound like all the Fridges went down? As I used to work in HVAC back in the day its find the leak with a pressurized Nitrogen gas, degas repressurize to make sure it's holding then Re gas with refrigerant gas 145 and run. I would imagine they will have to fly out a specialized firm.