Discovery 2 Cancels Sailing

We cancelled yesterday our disco 2 cruise for today. Should of been on the plane now. 
Was only officially told yesterday it was cancelled so offered full refund £100 cash comp and £200 vouchers , then offered keep the flight today to Jamaica with week in hotel a/I then join ship on the 7th feb.

we declined the offer and luckily got on PO Arvia in couple days time to Barbados. 
Hope all of you on the 7th get away as planned, have a great time.

29 minutes ago, Cliffholl55 said:

We cancelled yesterday our disco 2 cruise for today. Should of been on the plane now. 
Was only officially told yesterday it was cancelled so offered full refund £100 cash comp and £200 vouchers , then offered keep the flight today to Jamaica with week in hotel a/I then join ship on the 7th feb.

we declined the offer and luckily got on PO Arvia in couple days time to Barbados. 
Hope all of you on the 7th get away as planned, have a great time.

Hi Cliff have always put my eggs in one Basket apart from a few Carnival U.S, cruises, you are going on a very large ship but my self work with all cruise ships in Southampton and found that people love Iona and Arvia as big as they are. enjoy your cruise mate and tell us all about it when you return to U.K.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, so,ton saint said:

Hi Cliff have always put my eggs in one Basket apart from a few Carnival U.S, cruises, you are going on a very large ship but my self work with all cruise ships in Southampton and found that people love Iona and Arvia as big as they are. enjoy your cruise mate and tell us all about it when you return to U.K.

Will do .  We were all packed and ready to go so had to get somthing and this was available. Been on the big ships b4 some good some not so. 
The PO price was a far cheaper price and we got Buisness class on Virgin (last 2 seats available) . So money saved will pay for our booze.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Rebel Rouser said:

Sound like all the Fridges went down? As I used to work in HVAC back in the day its find the leak with a pressurized Nitrogen gas, degas repressurize to make sure it's holding then Re gas with refrigerant gas 145 and run. I would imagine they will have to fly out a specialized firm.

This whole thing sounds just like poor management.  With the redundancy of equipment a ship will have in their refrigeration system, the entire system should not have failed.  And, even if it did, if the onboard HVAC engineers could not fix it, they shouldn't be onboard.  I've got 45+ years in marine engineering, including HVAC, and have never had to call in shore side support.

On the other thread, the statement that they missed their loading port for the food, seems just like poor management, for not forwarding the stores.  I think this is just a need to repair the thrusters to get the ship back on schedule (and I have also done thruster overhauls while the ship is in service, working in one port after another with the dive crew traveling on the ship), so this is just another example of poor management.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

and I have also done thruster overhauls while the ship is in service, working

Think the thrusters have always been an issue on this ship, even prior to Marella buying her, we had a problem in the Adriatic when we had to have three tugs to dock etc. 🙄

A spokesperson for Tui said: “We understand how frustrating the cancellation of the Pride of Panama cruise on Marella Discovery 2 would have been for Ms Sayer and Mr Marr. The cancellation was due to a technical issue with our catering facilities. We apologise for the disappointment and inconvenience caused.”

🤣

A spokesperson for Tui said: “We understand how frustrating the cancellation of the Pride of Panama cruise on Marella Discovery 2 would have been for Ms Sayer and Mr Marr. The cancellation was due to a technical issue with our catering facilities. We apologise for the disappointment and inconvenience caused.”

Or

On social media, some of the passengers reported "food issues" which TUI rejected saying that the ship can deliver food and beverages to all its current guests.

Which one is it Tui ?

1 hour ago, Rebel Rouser said:

I take it you were one of those affected?

Yes

Regardless of what the issue is/was, we were treated atrociously from the day (5) when they slid the cancelation letter under our cabin door.

Its a holiday business and they ruined our holiday, yet their customer service is appalling now that they have had our money

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, dronnygirl said:

So pleased things worked out for you, you must have been so disappointed when Marella cancelled. However, the photo is exactly why we don't fancy the P&O new ships - would be far too big for us.

I can understand where ur coming from, but was only sea days that were busy with sunbeds as with all cruises. But the whole experience was very good . You wouldn’t know that there were over 4 thousand on the ship most of the time. Could allways get a table in bar or buffet.  Like you we do still like the Marella brand but not the customer relations.

• Like 1

I'm getting to like the BIGGER ships, now have Done MSC Virtuosa and P&O Iona, and because 5k passengers never felt cramped at all. The space has been well planned out and always got a seat and never had to wait for Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner or a seat in any of the Bars and all the shows were well planned out.. Yes, I do like Marella, but they are pricing themselves out of the Market at the moment. My money will only go so far, and I don't like being ripped off. If you shop about, there are bargains to be had. 

Screenshot 2023-02-11 074034.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rebel Rouser said:

I'm getting to like the BIGGER ships, now have Done MSC Virtuosa and P&O Iona, and because 5k passengers never felt cramped at all. The space has been well planned out and always got a seat and never had to wait for Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner or a seat in any of the Bars and all the shows were well planned out.. Yes, I do like Marella, but they are pricing themselves out of the Market at the moment. My money will only go so far, and I don't like being ripped off. If you shop about, there are bargains to be had. 

Looks like your parking with ABP. dock gate 10 is your entrance through the dock gates hang a right, keep to the left Parking on the left.

7 hours ago, Rebel Rouser said:

Totally agree with you. Marella seriously need to look at there pricing, just looked at Asia cruise as enjoyed it b4 but at just over 9K there are better choices on other lines.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2023 at 5:17 PM, dronnygirl said:

So pleased things worked out for you, you must have been so disappointed when Marella cancelled. However, the photo is exactly why we don't fancy the P&O new ships - would be far too big for us.

Give it a try, we've been on Iona 4 times, the last 2 it was full. I would say that due to the layout it and the variety of eating and entertainment it rarely felt too busy. There are the usual bottlenecks such as restaurants or theatre at peak times, but if you can avoid those you would find it hard to believe there are 5000+ passengers. 

43 minutes ago, Somerset Cruiser said:

Give it a try, we've been on Iona 4 times, the last 2 it was full. I would say that due to the layout it and the variety of eating and entertainment it rarely felt too busy. There are the usual bottlenecks such as restaurants or theatre at peak times, but if you can avoid those you would find it hard to believe there are 5000+ passengers. 

I Echo that 😁