Coral Princess - need some advice

CruisinFools

Ia Orana! Got back from Tahiti 8 months ago and still dreaming about it. Our next cruise, however, is to Costa Rica on the Coral Princess. We booked a category AB, cabin D507. Can anyone tell me how the ABs on the Coral (or her sisterm the Island Princess) compare to say, the Sea Princess or the old Crown Princess (not the new one). Is there anything special we ought to know about this ship or the itinerary? We've done the Western Carib, Eastern, Mexico, Tahiti. Now. we're heading to the Southern Caribbean/Panama Canal region.

Oh, and if anyone thinks I'm asking too many stupid questions, could it possibly be because I'm just so damn excited about our upcoming cruise that, asking questions is just a fun way to kill time before we get to sail!

We had an AB on the Princess last summer to Alaska. D517 as I recall.

She is a fine ship, and enjoyed everything very much (OK - not the coffee:rolleyes: )

I can't compare it to the other ships you mention as I've not sailed on them, but can say that the full shower and closet in the AB "mini" was most appreciated. We really enjoyed everything very much. If you have more specific questrions, please ask away.

Bringing an extension cord and or power strip is the only suggestions I can make.

Enjoy :)

Although we've reserved our cabin, we're also thinking about Alaska. Is there a reason why an Alaska 7 day cruise is more expensive than a 10 day Panama Canal cruise? As for the Coral Princess, did you get to enjoy the lounges? One of our favorite things is cocktail hour in a comfy lounge prior to dinner. Any suggestions?

That is a good question, why are 7 day Alaskan cruises more than 10 day Panama Canal cruises. The per diems for the Panama Canal are pretty steep already compared with Mexico or the Caribbean. I would think that with the cost of going through the Gatun Locks that the Panama Canal would be more.

Just got back--we were in D609. Loved it. Agree with the extension cord suggestion--it's the only thing I took along out of the hundreds of suggestions--ha!

Stopped in Crooner's Lounge every afternoon for Ritas and Coladas. And to play trivia.

Enjoy!

The minisuite is a nice cabin. Very similar to those on the Golden.

Lots of closet space, both hanging and shelves.

The bathroom size is especially appreciated.

The open balcony offers those that want to tan on their own balconies that option. It was never "too hot" out on the balcony. We enjoyed lots of morning coffee there.

People on the balconies above you can look down on you if they want. It never seemed like a problem. There were few on their balconies and those that were just aren't interested in looking at other folks.

Wheelhouse and Crooners are both nice lounges.

You may want to search for "Coral review 2/22-3/4"

Although we've reserved our cabin, we're also thinking about Alaska. Is there a reason why an Alaska 7 day cruise is more expensive than a 10 day Panama Canal cruise? As for the Coral Princess, did you get to enjoy the lounges? One of our favorite things is cocktail hour in a comfy lounge prior to dinner. Any suggestions?

I don't know whay a 7 day Alaska is more costly than a 10 day Panama. I do know that with Alaska you get beauty beyond words every day, and the days are very long. I can only assume it is a combination of what the market will bare, and the time it takes to get to / from Panama :eek:

We frequently met for a pre-dinner drink outside the Bayou cafe, so we could get a taste of the live jazz, and enjoy some privacy, as it was a very cozy little area.

As for the open balconies, yes, I could step out on my balcony and look straight up to the sky, see the stars, and during the day, what direction other folks were looking after they shouted - "Look - there's a whale" :cool:

Maybe it's because the Alaska cruises occur during the summer? That's prime vacation season.

One would think the Panama Canal cruises would be more expensive, considering that Princess pays around $200,000.00 for each transit (that includes both going into and out of Gatun Lake) of the Canal. Pretty steep price for just that portion of the cruise. You'd think that would kick the fare up considerably. Guess we PAX are lucky that it doesn't.

Archived