Celebrity Solstice Aqua Class v Azamara Journey Balcony

Billy Butlin

Hi. Fairly new to cruising and recently been on an Azamara cruise which I thoroughly enjoyed and will be booking again.I am trying to compare Azamara to Celebrity and would appreciate some thoughts as to differences

I can get a 15 night Asia cruise with Azamara Journey in a balcony with $300 onboard credit for the same price and similar itinerary to Celebrity Solstice Aqua Class; for £400 less I can get a Prime Veranda (both Celebrity prices are with the All Included upgrade of  $400 onboard credit, classic drinks package, tips wi fi)

How does an Azamara Balcony compare to Aqua Class on Celebrity  .... not sure what you get for Aqua Class and indeed if Aqua Class is worth the extra £400 over and above a Celebrity Balcony - I could use the difference for onboard spend

Ive factored in that I will have to pay extra for any specialty restaurants ($35 for the 2 on Azamara but not sure about Celebrity) and if I choose to upgrade drinks that will be extra ($21.95 per day for Ultimate on Azamara not sure about Celebrity)

I really enjoyed the small size ship vibe on Azamara and was very happy with food, drink (I upgraded to the Ultimate package) and friendly staff. Albeit it was a little quiet of an evening and on sea days but nothing to put me off booking again though I expect there will be more happening on a bigger ship such as Solstice

Any thoughts or insight from any board who has sailed both on how Aqua Class and Azamara Balcony compare and indeed whether the £400 extra for Aqua Class on Celebrity is worth it.

Thanks

Aqua class has its own dining room for breakfast and dinner. The main reason many book Aqua class.  Additionally you get some spa benefits and some included fitness classes.  In my opinion the food and service in Blu are a step above the MDR. The cost to upgrade the included Classic package to the Premium is similar to what you paid on Azamara however the wine offerings are better as are the liquor.

We cruised Azamara once and would consider booking again but only for a itinerary that I couldn’t get elsewhere.

We were on a full ship and waits to be seated at dinner were 20-60 minutes, dining room was cramped and noisy, food was frequently lukewarm when served. 
There was very little to do on sea days or after dinner and the included wines were terrible.  We had upgraded to the Ultimate beverage package so that got us drinks/liquor similar to  Celebrity Classic package.  

This was pre Covid and we loved the White Night party on Deck and the Azamazing Evening.  I don’t know if those have returned to their pre Covid format.

14 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Aqua class has its own dining room for breakfast and dinner. The main reason many book Aqua class.  Additionally you get some spa benefits and some included fitness classes.  In my opinion the food and service in Blu are a step above the MDR. The cost to upgrade the included Classic package to the Premium is similar to what you paid on Azamara however the wine offerings are better as are the liquor.

We cruised Azamara once and would consider booking again but only for a itinerary that I couldn’t get elsewhere.

We were on a full ship and waits to be seated at dinner were 20-60 minutes, dining room was cramped and noisy, food was frequently lukewarm when served. 
There was very little to do on sea days or after dinner and the included wines were terrible.  We had upgraded to the Ultimate beverage package so that got us drinks/liquor similar to  Celebrity Classic package.  

This was pre Covid and we loved the White Night party on Deck and the Azamazing Evening.  I don’t know if those have returned to their pre Covid format.

If you were on pre covid , that was before the new owners took it over , so how would you know what Azamara is like now?

I would ask this question on the Azamara forum

23 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

If you were on pre covid , that was before the new owners took it over , so how would you know what Azamara is like now?

I would ask this question on the Azamara forum

I was stating my experience and opinion.  I said I was on pre Covid.  
I also read the Azamara boards and have friends who have cruises Azamara since the new ownership and know that some things have changed others not.

• Like 1

You cannot compare a 30,000 ton ship to a 120,000 ton ship. 

I would never consider Azamara just not enough to do on the ship (boring). But that is me.

For the price you have said Aqua Class is well worth the upgrade I would pay that just for Blu.

Below is how Celebrity describes Aqua Class so if you like these things do it.

Wellness is so fundamental to our philosophy, we offer AquaClass® staterooms for a fully immersive, next-level wellness experience. Elements are thoughtfully infused throughout your stateroom, from verandas that allow you to walk right out to the water’s edge to a Cashmere™ mattress and pillow menus. Savor clean cuisine, including new healthy options, at your exclusive restaurant, Blu. Plus, you’ll enjoy access to the SEA Thermal Suite, a spa concierge, a complimentary fitness pass, preferential rates on AquaClass spa packages, daily in-room bottled water service, healthy room-service menu options, and a yoga mat for use on board. We’ve thought of everything so that you can focus on nourishing your mind, body, and spirit.

As you are, as you say, “fairly new to cruising” I would suggest you 

give Celebrity a go. We have done many Celebrity cruises (Elite

Plus) and five on Azamara. Your choices are very different but both

have pros and cons with the size of the ships being the main factor.

It does mean that they offer contrasting experiences. Do as much

research as possible and then jump off the fence !  FWIW we

would be very happy whichever side of the fence we landed.