Why no shore excursions for April cruise?!?!!

newtocruiseinblue

1 minute ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

I find it inconvenient that HAL has no shore excursions for an upcoming 5-day Scottish adventure. I already have shore excursions for a summer Celebrity cruise booked. I know HAL wants our money. 

I’m on this sailing as well and admit I’m just as frustrated about this. I’ve called the excursion department and my personal cruise consultant. Neither can give me any insight as to what is happening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bostonjetset said:

I’m on this sailing as well and admit I’m just as frustrated about this. I’ve called the excursion department and my personal cruise consultant. Neither can give me any insight as to what is happening.

I agree - I'm at a loss and when I call excursions, they know nothing. It's obviously a call center in another country and they are just there to schedule it and not the right people to reach but that is the only avenue.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

I agree - I'm at a loss and when I call excursions, they know nothing. It's obviously a call center in another country and they are just there to schedule it and not the right people to reach but that is the only avenue.

It’s made worse by the fact that both ports are not really close to the sights so excursions are pretty important. We often DIY cruise ports but these ports seem like that’a not an easy task. Especially as I want to go to Loch Ness; who knows when I’ll be back in Scotland. 

I just hope this isn’t an omen that things are going to change with the itinerary. I DID check the port schedules for both ports and Rotterdam is listed so at least that’s a good sign. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bostonjetset said:

Especially as I want to go to Loch Ness; who knows when I’ll be back in Scotland. 

Ahh, seems reasonable that Loch Ness excursions can not be found!😀 I just did a cursory search of  the HAL website for cruises that have Loch Ness excursions from Invergordon, Scotland and your 5 day one was listed as one. I have no idea why it can't be booked.

• Haha 2

We wondered the same, about an upcoming Westy cruise in Asia.  There were no excursions listed for the first part of a cruise (that begins in March) until a few days ago.  Than without any warning, HAL completely revamped the itinerary, eliminated 1 port, added two new ports, and posted excursions.  Some speculated that HAL must have known, for some time, they were going to make the itinerary change, which is why they had not posted excursions for the affected ports.

Hank

• Like 4

We had this happen last fall- no excursions for a port, then a port change just a couple of weeks prior to cruise.  Some of our roll call members had booked for the port they canceled, seems like HAL is doing this a lot lately, with little or no explanation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Banditswife said:

We had this happen last fall- no excursions for a port, then a port change just a couple of weeks prior to cruise.  Some of our roll call members had booked for the port they canceled, seems like HAL is doing this a lot lately, with little or no explanation.

Lots of issues with tour operators.  Most are new and the requirement for insurance is expensive.  Few excursions showing on my upcoming cruise.  Are they sold out or maybe operators choosing to not sell thru the cruiseline?

11 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Lots of issues with tour operators.  Most are new and the requirement for insurance is expensive.  Few excursions showing on my upcoming cruise.  Are they sold out or maybe operators choosing to not sell thru the cruiseline?

There are a number of operators that will NOT deal with the cruise lines.  They get plenty of business by word of mouth, internet and do not want to be constricted by cruise line requirements of a specific itinerary.

A good tour guide will deviate to suit the group, or spend longer in one place and less elsewhere depending on the group’s interest.  They take pride in providing a quality experience to the smaller group and don’t want to be dictated to.  I’ve met a number of them and had the pleasure to tour with them.

Edited to say - there is also a risk for the guide.  If HAL cancels as there aren’t enough to “suit” them, the guide is now without income as the date has been tied up for months.