Liberty of the seas next dry dock?

Shand9219

Hi all. I'm in a fb group and this question has been asked. A few people have supposedly been told "by royal caribbean reps" but they all have different dates or info. One says april/may 23 and cruises will be cancelled. A few say other dates. I was assuming nothing would be done before 2025/26 at least.

Is the any up to date info on when Liberty might most likely been updated/amped etc. I'm cruising april 2024 on her for 4 nights as part of a longer disneyworld holiday from Scotland and I'm kind of nervous we could end up cancelled. Does that even happen, cruises being cancelled for sudden maintenence or rescheduled dry docking? 

I was listening to The Royal Caribbean Blog Podcast today and the information that the host was given by Royal was that all Royal Amplification is currently on hold for financial reason.  The pandemic put Royal (and all companies in huge debt) and they just don't want to spend the money right now.  She did go in for her short mandatory drydock in 2021, and usually drydock happens every 5 years.   I really hope it gets amplified before our May 2024 cruise, but I am not getting my hopes up.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SNemeth said:

I was listening to The Royal Caribbean Blog Podcast today and the information that the host was given by Royal was that all Royal Amplification is currently on hold for financial reason.  The pandemic put Royal (and all companies in huge debt) and they just don't want to spend the money right now.  She did go in for her short mandatory drydock in 2021, and usually drydock happens every 5 years.   I really hope it gets amplified before our May 2024 cruise, but I am not getting my hopes up.  

Yeah agree. How long is "currently" though according to royal? We switched from allure, (exact same dates and same ports) because I thought Liberty would suit us better and I still do. Even though allure to me "looks" a lot nicer even without not getting the amp it was due either.

So, though it would be nice to have the updates I'm okay if she doesn't. I am nervous about being caught out and cancelled if they do decide to amp in spring 24 though. We're 22nd april.

40 minutes ago, Shand9219 said:

Yeah agree. How long is "currently" though according to royal? We switched from allure, (exact same dates and same ports) because I thought Liberty would suit us better and I still do. Even though allure to me "looks" a lot nicer even without not getting the amp it was due either.

So, though it would be nice to have the updates I'm okay if she doesn't. I am nervous about being caught out and cancelled if they do decide to amp in spring 24 though. We're 22nd april.

I'm sure you know the pool tv doesnt work, and cabin tvs are iffy. The satellite is pointed wrong for cabin tvs. I thought a lot of issues. Elevators bad shake in aft often. 

Curious why liberty would suit better than allure. I loved allure. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I'm sure you know the pool tv doesnt work, and cabin tvs are iffy. The satellite is pointed wrong for cabin tvs. I thought a lot of issues. Elevators bad shake in aft often. 

Curious why liberty would suit better than allure. I loved allure. 

Yes I know. The pool tv doesn't bother me too much. I saw that before I switched. I'll probably be mostly in the kids bit. We are only on for 4 days to nassau and coccay before we do 2 weeks at Disneyworld. I can see how you'd love allure. If comparing ships only, I'd say allure is the nicer ship by far

My reasons for switching though are a few. The kids begged for slides and prefer the kids pool on liberty. Plus splashaway Bay. My youngest will be 5. But mainly I have ptsd among other things and allure is just too big for me. I love the look of Wonder and Icon but wouldn't be able to cope sailing on those for the same reasons. So we had specific dates we couldnt change and this was the only other option that suited what we wanted. 

The price wasn't that different in the end either but I do get how someone would prefer a newer ship. I think liberty will be fantastic if does get amped though for people like me who can't handle the supermassive ships.  

Edited by Shand9219
Typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shand9219 said:

Yes I know. The pool tv doesn't bother me too much. I saw that before I switched. I'll probably be mostly in the kids bit. We are only on for 4 days to nassau and coccay before we do 2 weeks at Disneyworld. I can see how you'd love allure. If comparing ships only, I'd say allure is the nicer ship by far

My reasons for switching though are a few. The kids begged for slides and prefer the kids pool on liberty. Plus splashaway Bay. My youngest will be 5. But mainly I have ptsd among other things and allure is just too big for me. I love the look of Wonder and Icon but wouldn't be able to cope sailing on those for the same reasons. So we had specific dates we couldnt change and this was the only other option that suited what we wanted. 

The price wasn't that different in the end either but I do get how someone would prefer a newer ship. I think liberty will be fantastic if does get amped though for people like me who can't handle the supermassive ships.  

I love shows and the food choices of allure. So lack of slides dont matter but food matters to me. I never felt crowded on allure as the shows spread people out. I dont have ptsd so cant compare but to me disney lines and crowds bothered me. I did universal last and was so hot but fun. Surprised crowds at Disney dont bother you but a big ship does. 

Take care of yourself. I have a family member with it and she seems to battle it daily. Do what feels good. Its important to do what's right for you. I did a lot of liberty before she left texas ... enjoy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I love shows and the food choices of allure. So lack of slides dont matter but food matters to me. I never felt crowded on allure as the shows spread people out. I dont have ptsd so cant compare but to me disney lines and crowds bothered me. I did universal last and was so hot but fun. Surprised crowds at Disney dont bother you but a big ship does. 

Take care of yourself. I have a family member with it and she seems to battle it daily. Do what feels good. Its important to do what's right for you. I did a lot of liberty before she left texas ... enjoy. 

I second this.  Disney during Spring break will be wall to wall people especially during fireworks etc.  I have been on both Freedom and Oasis class ships at full capacity and never felt as crowded as a theme park during a peak time period.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SNemeth said:

I second this.  Disney during Spring break will be wall to wall people especially during fireworks etc.  I have been on both Freedom and Oasis class ships at full capacity and never felt as crowded as a theme park during a peak time period.

Is spring break still in May? I don't really go into my ptsd triggers because if you dont have it it probably won't make sense to you. But being able to leave somewhere triggering and being stuck in the middle of the ocean feeling overwhelmed and triggered hit differently. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Off topic a bit tbh but yes Disney does bother me. But I'm able to leave if i want or be in the open which is the difference for me. Its having the choice. Hopefully early May isn't as bad as peak spring break for 2024 with also an early Easter that year. I hire a villa to give myself a choice of leaving for calm if needed. Woulsnt ever stay on property. I'm able to get DAS, my partner will pick up the slack on certain rides, taking meds with me things like that. And I don't want my issues to stop my kids from experiencing something like disneyworld or cococay. 

Anyway thanks for the replies. Hope you enjoy your next cruise too. 

7 hours ago, Shand9219 said:

Is spring break still in May? I don't really go into my ptsd triggers because if you dont have it it probably won't make sense to you. But being able to leave somewhere triggering and being stuck in the middle of the ocean feeling overwhelmed and triggered hit differently. 

No,  Spring break is over in May.  I must have misunderstood and thought you would be there in April.  Spring break in the US is March and April, with the first week or so in March and the last week in April being slightly lighter crowds than the rest of the weeks.  

• Thanks 1