Airport Car Rental?

cruising_rocket_scientist

We are headed to Bonaire in April. We have an excursion booked with a private company, but it we have to provide our own transportation. We are in port all day, so we would like to do some other exploring as well. I'm not having a lot of success finding rental cars near the cruise port, but it seems renting from the airport should give me a lot of options. Has anyone done this? Could I take a taxi to the airport, rent a car for the day, return it and taxi back to the port? Any other suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Becca

We weee in Bonaire a few weeks ago and had a great tour. I can honestly say you probably don’t want to drive on the island, at least where things are visually interesting. There aren’t great roadsigns and many of the roads are not in the best shape.

• 2 weeks later...

We are coming in to Bonaire on a cruise stop as well in April and have rented a car from the Bonaire airport.  It looks like the airport is a short taxi ride from the cruise ship pier. We plan to drive around the island and see the sights and snorkel in a few spots.

• 2 months later...

We ended up renting a car from Hertz at the Divi Flamingo Resort (short walk from the pier) and returned it to the airport. We had a blast! We were able to see the whole island and enjoy our excursions. The roads were pretty narrow in some places, but overall it worked out great! We even found a great ice cream place...they were surprised to see us since we were cruisers. Always fun to eat with the locals.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/2/2023 at 3:39 PM, cruising_rocket_scientist said:

We ended up renting a car from Hertz at the Divi Flamingo Resort (short walk from the pier) and returned it to the airport.

Is there a reason you didn't return the car to Divi?  I also have an upcoming Hertz rental from Divi for my fourth time to Bonaire (third on a cruise).

We returned it to the airport because we were out late adventuring. We had a private tour that didn't end until 6pm.  Divi closes at 5 or 6pm (I don't remember which) So rather than cut things short and try to rush, we just returned it to the airport. It was pretty slick, but the signage at the airport leaves a lot to be desired.

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2023 at 3:39 PM, cruising_rocket_scientist said:

We even found a great ice cream place...they were surprised to see us since we were cruisers. Always fun to eat with the locals.

Would you mind sharing the location of this ice-cream place?